Three speed hub lubrication

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of oil should I use to lubricate a shimano three speed hub. The hub is from the 70's. It seems to shift and spin well. I read somewhere on the net that I should use to low weight auto oil but that seems weird to me.

I use outboard lower unit oil, Its prolly 60-80 weight. works great and is moisture resistant.. :mrgreen:

Shimano recommends what is basically ATF.

Simply pull the guts, let sit in ATF overnight, and reinstall. It's lubricated/overhauled in an oil bath.

Beau said:
Shimano recommends what is basically ATF.

Simply pull the guts, let sit in ATF overnight, and reinstall. It's lubricated/overhauled in an oil bath.

really? ATF is hydraulic fluid.. that seems odd.. :roll:

ive been told to use motor oil. the kind used in smaller engines. i think its a W30. ive just filled the hubs up and let it leak out as i i spin it and shift the gears. seems to work great. all i know is don't use WD40 or anything like that. its not thick enough to lubricate the parts enough. the motor oil seems to be doing the trick and lasts a good long while. just my 2cents

That's why they don't tell you to add a ton of oil. The hubs were not designed to hold oil. Just have a bit in there to keep things moist. Trust me ATF works.

wait your trying to lube a shimano? my post was for a Sturmey sorry. ive heard that some other 3speed hubs require a more solid lube like a grease rather than oil. im not sure whichone it was tho. i can try and find out for you

ATF works for the Sturmey hubs as well. I usually use Phil Wood Tenacios oil for SA stuff though.

Back