Thoughts on a starter...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get the Huffy Cranbrook from walmart online for 55

or

I found the OP from walmart for 75 used

or

I have the chance to get a used Schwinn Cruiser SS for 50

Thoughts?

my picks
1 schwinn - should have a decent set of wheels
2 op - aluminum frame (i think... never had one)
3 huffy - decent bike but i think the other two are a little more bike for the buck

if it was a "bike shop" schwinn (should have a "select" decal on the seat tube, the wheels should be aluminum with a shimano coaster brake, i dont think they use the same stuff on the wal-mart/box store bikes.

I would go with the SChwinn.The Op bike has a threaded bottom bracket so you are limited to a three peice crank.Whoops,my bad,just saw they have american bottom brackets now.I have an older Op that doesn't.Have fun
-Kreep-

Kreep said:
I would go with the SChwinn.The Op bike has a threaded bottom bracket so you are limited to a three peice crank.Whoops,my bad,just saw they have american bottom brackets now.I have an older Op that doesn't.Have fun
-Kreep-

I really like the OP and the direction i want to go, flat black red combo, would look cool there.

ThirdCoast said:
Kreep said:
-Kreep-

I really like the OP and the direction i want to go, flat black red combo, would look cool there.
You've answered your own question. Have fun and let us see the results. :D

Bigcam59 said:
ThirdCoast said:
Kreep said:
-Kreep-

You've answered your own question. Have fun and let us see the results. :D
lol, I have seemed to come across more cash to use than i though. I think I am going to use the Huffy Panama Jack Bike as a starter. It has some features i like, the rack on the back is one, and it has a cool look to it.

I am also thinking I might grab a Cranbrook as a starter... right now it is $75 with a $20 e-gift certificate making it a $55... does anyone know if you can mount a rear derailleur on it without too much effort? I have an older GT mountain bike I that I might use the wheels off of and put a 7 speed in the back... also is there a stock place to mount a rear brake? I have not been to the store yet to see it in person and check it out...

heres my wally world huffy after a few mods,slapped some drag bars on and moved the front fender to the rear ,great little crusier for the money , plus you do not have to worry about rusty bolts :D
Picture216.jpg

photoaggie said:
I am also thinking I might grab a Cranbrook as a starter... right now it is $75 with a $20 e-gift certificate making it a $55... does anyone know if you can mount a rear derailleur on it without too much effort? I have an older GT mountain bike I that I might use the wheels off of and put a 7 speed in the back... also is there a stock place to mount a rear brake? I have not been to the store yet to see it in person and check it out...

should work fine, but youll have to spread the rear drop outs to fit the rear wheel, and you'll probably need to lose the chainguard or make a bracket so its taller in the rear and be sure to get an axle mounted derailer. and if your crank sprocket wont accept a derailer chain you may have to swap the sprocket for one that will work.

ThirdCoast said:
deorman said:
Axle mount plate for bikes without a derailleur mount. A lot of derailleurs already have that attached.
Ok, do i need to get one?
Higher end derailleurs mount directly into the frame on a little tab below where the rear axle slides in, like this-
derailleur1.jpg

Lower priced derailleurs (AKA Shimano Tourney) can be bought with the little hanger attached.
derailleur2.jpg

Most older derailleurs ( early 1980's or older ) will probably also have the bolt on hanger. You should have no problem bolting on a derailleur with a hanger into the Cranbrook frame

Back