They Said it Was A Schwinn...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got home from buying this "Schwinn" bicycle from a CL ad. They knew nothing about it, they thought everything was original from the person they bought it from last year. After getting a closer look it was obvious the orginal owner did alot to this bike (not good things). They completely painted over the bike with a baby blue color, they also used chrome spray paint on everything else! The rims, pedals and pedal gear, seat bar, handlebars, ect.. He even duct taped the inside of the rims. It also appears he gave it a different headbadge. That is why I am not sure if this is a Schwinn or not. The headbadge says Schwinn but it is one of the stick on types but above and below it are holes as if a bolted in type of headbadge was originally there.
I obviously want to strip this bike, I was just curious if anyone knew what this bike actually is. The seat and handlegrips are possibly original (at least old). I cannot find a serial number due to the paint job.
Here are some pictures:
DSCF4785.jpg

DSCF4786.jpg

DSCF4787.jpg

DSCF4793.jpg

DSCF4794.jpg

Also a question. I want to strip the bike of its paint job. I know I can sand blast it but is there any other methods for removing paint? And how to I remove the chrome spray paint from the other parts?

You can use a chemical paint stripper. They're pretty brutal so wear gloves, unless you're a masochist, but it gets the job done. It will not affect any chrome left underneath the chrome paint (unless it's some really industrial stuff I don't know about).

As far as the bike is concerned, it's not Schwinn but the fork, chainring, and chainguard strongly suggest mid-late 50s Rollfast, built by DP Harris.

Hmm it does look like a Rollfast. If it is I wonder why he put a Schwinn badge on it. lol

Could I use sandpaper to remove the paint? I was thinking I might be able to use sandpaper because the paint is normal paint and not the bicycles original paint.
Also how do I go about repainting it? This is the first time I will be repainting a bike and I want to do it right (I am going to paint it red). :)

B607 said:
Aluyasha said:
Hmm it does look like a Rollfast. If it is I wonder why he put a Schwinn badge on it. lol

He was trying to upgrade it. :p Gary
Well I would rather have a Rollfast than a Schwinn personally. I like Schwinn of course but you see those everywhere here, I want this bike to show what it truely is. :)

Latest posts

Back