There's no such thing as a comfortable bicycle saddle.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There's just saddles that are more comfortable to you than others.

I just rode my tall bike probably 15 miles around Myrtle Beach tonight and the saddle I thought was so comfy, stopped being comfy after a while, but this is much more comfortable than the last one I had and that one was much more comfy than the one before that.

The saddle on my mountain bike is more of a thong than a seat, I say it's comfortable, but sometimes it can feel like murder.

The seat I put on my wife's beach cruiser is this huge wide Troxel spring saddle with a flexible plastic pan and about 3" of padding. You sit on it and say "Wow, this is so plush" then you ride for about 10 minutes and you're looking for old couch cushions on the side of the road.

Don't get me wrong, some saddles are great, but I think they are all just a compromise we make for the enjoyment of riding on 2 wheels.

This is comfortable to the extreme!
teaser.jpg

Not very Ratty thou................

Yup. It all in the "getting used to it". This used to be my number one saddle when racing mtb's.
flite-90.jpg

I now ride 25 miles or so a week on every type of saddle. The only ones I've had a problem with are my stock electra amsterdam saddle (after 30 miles on one ride), and my Bianchi saddle on my Klunkster when I first built it (and rode 26 miles in a "race").

Going to ride the Klunkster (see sig for saddle pic) about 40 miles this evening and I'm willing to bet my @!! will be tired, but not sore. Helps that I wear bike shorts on the 20+ mile rides though...

My brooks saddles are pretty comfy, but they do take a while to break in (B66, B17, and B72)

I have cushy seats that start to hurt after 15 miles. But I also have a bare metal long-spring pan that I can go 30 miles on without a problem. Seats/saddles are just finnicky. I guess it depends on the style and age of the seat, as well as the body type and age of the person.

i ride 40 everyday;
position of the saddle makes
a world of difference.the
clothing worn is a big key aswell.
they do make under garments for cyclist;
that can be worn under jeans .i found that
wearing such on the long commute ,truly
lessens the level of pain later after the ride.

The WTB Pure V saddle is as close to ideal as I've found for aligning sit bones properly and minimal "love channel" (BTW, Sheldon is way off base in his perception of the issue regarding that nothing to do with the prostate). Ditto comments on the cushy cruiser seats, only good for short distances usually, some much better than others though. Never found the Brooks very comfortable, new or broken-in but I think a lot goes into the equation as far as body weight, type, shape etc. Kinda prefer the Brooks in newer shape, but the old leather pan springer seats with minimal if any padding are more comfortable IMO.

Back