The Superchief

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, here it is almost August and I just got around to doing some work on the Superchief again. Funny how time flies.....

Anyway, I originally intended this to be a sympathetic restoration to cruiser style, but recently had a complete change of vision for this bike: I ran into a guy at a party who didn't realize old cruiser frames similar to the one on the Superchief were used as the foundations for mountain bikes before mountain bikes were being formally manufactured. So, I explained a quick history of the sport to him, Gary Fisher, tom Ritchey, etc.. while I was talking to him, I had a vision of the Superchief as one of these old so-called "Klunkers" and set about making it happen:

So, the tank came off along with the rear fender. I had a set of old mountain bike rims (somewhat rusted to fit the ratty theme) and tires off some walmart / generic bike that I cannibalized for parts a while back. Some risers off an 80s schwinn cruiser fit the bill as well, resulting in this:

-4.jpg

-2-1.jpg

I still need a chain and a brake (obviously) but after that, it;s ready to ride (not offroad...I'd hate to break those wicked forks!!) Also, I'll continue stripping the brushed-on white paint once the temp goes down below 100 and I can keep my garage door open for ventilation....

I may do a serious conversion of the forks sometime in order to accommodate offroad riding, but for now, she's stayin on the asphalt!

Hope you like it!

Professor Paul

Back