The Spoken build + some others (updated 6/8/09)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Spoken build + some others

Jazmanaut said:
Holy cow!
just in curiosity, how wobbly was that thing, before inserting those spokes?

It was one big bouncy spring. I had to place blocks under the belly otherwise the front wheel would start to roll and would have probably flattened like a pancake. There was more than one time that I wondered what the heck I was doing and if it would ever be more than just a time consuming sculpture. But to my suprise it ended up quite strong. The only weak spot is at the crank when you pedal really hard, it will flex side to side a little. But it doesn't seem to be an issue and I've got some ideas on how to solve this on the next one.

Jazmanaut said:
Holy cow!just in curiosity, how wobbly was that thing, before inserting those spokes?

Riverbend Bicycles said:
It was one big bouncy spring.

i'm glad you didn't put the finished photo up first. i was laughing at such a stupid idea to start with, then seeing the spokes i had a good sized slice of humble pie. jolly good idea, old chap :D

hubgearfreak said:
i'm glad you didn't put the finished photo up first. i was laughing at such a stupid idea to start with, then seeing the spokes i had a good sized slice of humble pie. jolly good idea, old chap :D

Ditto. Much on the "how is that thing going to hold any weight?" :shock: :lol: :lol: Awesome build, great job

the spoken build is a masterpiece...
what a creative idea...
i too wondered how you were going to pull off the flat stock frame b4 seeing the spokes!
nice...

clever boy. very very clever. love to build something even half that creative. :shock:

The frame looks awesome the way it is in that pic!!!
build5.jpg

Thats wild man! :mrgreen: Love it. The redbike is sweet.

I thought I would update this thread with some pictures of the new spoken bike I finished last week. This one is made from 20 gauge sheet metal. I use a combination of a bead roller, press brake, and shrinker/stretcher to form the strips. It's a big improvement in weight and strength over the first one. I ended up building two of these frames, this one is my wifes. Mine is still waiting for the long spokes to be made. I've found a high wheel bicycle builder to custom make the longer spokes in the frame.
IMGP2298.jpg

IMGP2301.jpg

IMGP2305.jpg

IMGP2466.jpg

IMGP2617.jpg

IMGP2618.jpg

IMGP2613.jpg

So can the bike stand on its own without the spokes? and why no spokes on the rear triangle? have you got to the point of mass produce and sell yet?
Again very impressed! hope to see it at a bike festival or cruz...great lookin bike.

Actually, after I got over my amazement and regained the use of my senses, my first thought was: that would be a fun ride after a couple of pints WITHOUT the spokes in the frame :mrgreen: looks like a pretty stiff frame with the spokes though, brilliant idea.

Re: The Spoken build + some others (updated 4/7/09)

jon said:
So can the bike stand on its own without the spokes? and why no spokes on the rear triangle? have you got to the point of mass produce and sell yet?
Again very impressed! hope to see it at a bike festival or cruz...great lookin bike.
Yeah I could actually sit on this one without the spokes. Although the spokes are the key to the strength of the frame, especially at the crank. I chose to redesign and leave the spokes out of the rear triangle. I thought it was to busy looking. I think this design looks cleaner. I wouldn't mind selling a few this winter, but mass production is out of the question. The fastest I think I could build one would be around 20hrs not counting paint. Thanks for the compliments

wow! what a great build. hat's off to you buddy!
20hrs?! to make that frame? you got the touch, that's for sure 8)

Mind blowing bike ! wow! whole another level ! keep showin everybody i know this bike.....

I finally finished my new spoken bike. The red one was for my wife, this one is for me. The only diffences are a few refinements, disc brakes, and 80mm rims. I also used 14 gauge spokes for the frame on this one. The red bike used 12 gauge. I was able to save $100 by using the 14 gauge spokes. Overall this frame turned out better than the red one, but as I look at the pictures I can see that the inside lines of the frame aren't quite as smooth. I'll get the next one right.
IMGP2743.jpg

IMGP2737.jpg

IMGP2732.jpg

IMGP2730.jpg

IMGP2739.jpg

Well the new bike looks awsome! im still a fan of the first one. I dont think the first one is to busy reminds me of a bridge! there both pieces of Art the red one looks like rims unlike the 2nd has more body to it. Reguardless there both great and i'll wait 20 hrs for one... :wink: as long as its in the " busy " style.

These bikes are captivating. Looking at the newer design I could see some Dali influence, maybe that's just me. Hold on that won't fit in Park TS-2 !!!! How do you plan to true your frame ???? Just kidding

Back