The Rustacean

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the new fork tube is 1 1/8" , and stems are harder to find for them, I cut off a piece from a stem I had left. Very glad the the 1" stem slides into the other 1 1/8" piece!

I'm not set on the stem just yet. I don't like the upward facing neck.
Maybe I find a nice one on the scrap, or I'll speed hole one of these.

20230614_211506.jpg

20230614_211518.jpg

20230614_211557.jpg

Both slide right in!

20230614_213030.jpg

20230614_213218.jpg

Alright!

20230614_213348.jpg

Yes!

20230614_213505.jpg

Upward facing stem..... don't know....

20230614_213517.jpg

To be continued.
Thanks for watching!

Attachments

• 20230614_212101.jpg
    20230614_212101.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Not a faux patina fan or reliced guitar fan but I like this bike tastefully done one of the best ones I've seen .
Thank you, I appreciate that!

This morning (before cycling to work) I tried the aluminum stem.

I did not think this would look good, since it is upward facing as well...
But I kinda like it! Will test it (position/looks) out with the handlebars I found.

The intention is to speedhole this stem :rockout:

20230615_062007.jpg

20230615_062011.jpg

Thank you, I appreciate that!

This morning (before cycling to work) I tried the aluminum stem.

I did not think this would look good, since it is upward facing as well...
But I kinda like it! Will test it (position/looks) out with the handlebars I found.

The intention is to speedhole this stem :rockout:

View attachment 236721
View attachment 236722
Form factor set aside this stem fits your build very well considering it's natural patina.

I like the 'edged' look the stem has, fits the look of the fork very well. You could leave it aluminum, and then maybe use that look for cranks and bars and seat post as well; or you could tie it in with your fork with some of your spot on RaT-ina. :nod: :inlove: Excuse my Flintstone Paint program, but you get the idea....

bre stem.jpg

Form factor set aside this stem fits your build very well considering it's natural patina.
Yeah I did not expect that! I fully agree.

I like the 'edged' look the stem has, fits the look of the fork very well. You could leave it aluminum, and then maybe use that look for cranks and bars and seat post as well; or you could tie it in with your fork with some of your spot on RaT-ina. :nod: :inlove: Excuse my Flintstone Paint program, but you get the idea....

View attachment 236729
Well you put some effort in visualizing your thoughts, so much appreciated!

It does look good with the front! The white and rusty. But I also like the aluminum coming back in the chaincover.

I'll have to think about that.... finish assembly as much as I can and then decide the details and paintjobs.
My design plan is messy and can change every minute :grin:

I assembled the bars I bought very cheap and took the bike out for a look.

There was no sanding or more assembling this evening since the Red Robin chicks in my shed flew out for the first time today and I wanted to leave them alone as much as I could. There were four hopping around today:

20230615_200038.jpg

20230615_202624.jpg

20230615_195642.jpg

20230615_221137.jpg

20230615_221144.jpg

20230615_221157.jpg

Wide bars!

The bike looks a bit short initially, but it actually is pretty long.

The look will change with the fenders attached.

I'll have to find a solid and good looking way to lenghten the fenders struts a bit, they are 4mm in diameter.
20230611_222040.jpg

Last edited:
Those forks! Those would look amazing on a cyber punk style build I have in mind. Any chance you could post a few more detailed pics of them?
Most of the early Honda Super cubs like the C100 and Ct90 K0 have similar forks. I believe they also have a 1” steerer tube with the same threading as most traditional cruisers but would need to check to make sure.

IMG_5638.jpeg

C100

Last edited:
Since the new fork tube is 1 1/8" , and stems are harder to find for them, I cut off a piece from a stem I had left. Very glad the the 1" stem slides into the other 1 1/8" piece!

I'm not set on the stem just yet. I don't like the upward facing neck.
Maybe I find a nice one on the scrap, or I'll speed hole one of these.

View attachment 236644
View attachment 236645
View attachment 236646
Both slide right in!

View attachment 236648
View attachment 236649
Alright!

View attachment 236650
Yes!

View attachment 236651
Upward facing stem..... don't know....

View attachment 236652

To be continued.
Thanks for watching!
I like your ‘work boots’! :21: Is there a requirement around here for at least part of the build being done barefoot? I crack up with these pics! I run around barefoot all summer and my wife yells at me! I think I’m just part of the in crowd!

Yeah I did not expect that! I fully agree.

Well you put some effort in visualizing your thoughts, so much appreciated!

It does look good with the front! The white and rusty. But I also like the aluminum coming back in the chaincover.

I'll have to think about that.... finish assembly as much as I can and then decide the details and paintjobs.
My design plan is messy and can change every minute :grin:

I assembled the bars I bought very cheap and took the bike out for a look.

There was no sanding or more assembling this evening since the Red Robin chicks in my shed flew out for the first time today and I wanted to leave them alone as much as I could. There were four hopping around today:

View attachment 236817

View attachment 236818
View attachment 236819
View attachment 236820
View attachment 236821
View attachment 236822
Wide bars!

The bike looks a bit short initially, but it actually is pretty long.

The look will change with the fenders attached.

I'll have to find a solid and good looking way to lenghten the fenders struts a bit, they are 4mm in diameter.
View attachment 236823
Bike looks absolutely amazing!

Very cool. I love this build.
Thanks JA!

I like your ‘work boots’! :21: Is there a requirement around here for at least part of the build being done barefoot? I crack up with these pics! I run around barefoot all summer and my wife yells at me! I think I’m just part of the in crowd!

Bike looks absolutely amazing!
:bigsmile: We walk barefoot for quite some time during the day!
When its a bit colder or we go for a longer walk, I usually walk on dark blue "Leguano" barefoot shoes, absolutely love it, also for cycling!
I have a lot of wood and aluminum/metal chips in my shed, so probably not the wisest choice there :crazy2:
Thanks Jude!

Mocked up the fenders. I did a lot of damage repair on mainly the rear fender.
The fender struts were badly bent.

The fenders are still a bit dent and rough, but I like that for a 'rough / rat' bicycle. There is a story attached to each piece.

I played with some parts for ideas. Still thinking about a rear rack. Maybe wood.
And need to close some holes I drilled out, for the front fender bracket that is unused.

Fenders will be in a different colour! Blank aluminum or the ratina orange with white.

Pics and comments:

20230616_212040.jpg

Front sprocket!

20230616_212423.jpg

Sanded blank locally, I like this effect! It was previously completely black.

20230616_223422.jpg

Assembled!
Cranks have light patina.

20230616_222913.jpg

Oh no! 170mm crank!

Time to use our tool one of these days:
Screenshot_20230618_095503_Gallery.jpg

20230616_220630.jpg

Fender struts mockup. Will fabricate parts this week!

20230617_215604.jpg

:crazy:

20230617_221600.jpg

20230617_221627.jpg

20230617_222256.jpg

Hmm, a rack?
Just to get an idea, I dont like this wood to be honest.

20230617_222457.jpg

More ideas generating...

20230617_222518.jpg

A bit deeper. Cuts and filing needed...

20230617_222542.jpg

Dont know yet. Some sort of licence plate on the left surface. I really like this idea. Needs to be stiff enough!

20230617_222634.jpg

A bit more conservative, but looks good!

Thanks all!

Attachments

• 20230616_212423.jpg
    20230616_212423.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Here's a photo of my front carrier on my first ever RRB BO Build, Beer Boy Delivery.

Screenshot_20230618_162546_Chrome.jpg

Here's a vid on how I RaT-ified it to match the rest of the bike. It's kind of like watching a re-run of an old TV show.... 9 years ago!

Just catching up here. There's so many earlier posts that I wanted to comment on but then every page had more so I'll just keep it simple.

First I have to say great job! So much cool going on! Love the frame and bottom bracket!

Now to catch up with one of the more current posts about the aluminum stem. I really like it in its aluminum finish to go along with the original finish aluminum chain guard. I'm not sure if you decided against the guard but I thought that it looked good. Been wanting to find something similar for another bike of mine. I would be a little concerned about adding speed holes though. Keeping the designed strength might be the difference between dental work or not. Just a thought to consider.

Good job on the paint. I know that I'm late to the party with your venture into faux finish painting but there's lots of cool techniques to explore. You might find some of the finishes that I used on one of my builds from several years ago to be useful. Here's a link. It's really cool to see how far the the mustard (rustard) process has traveled over the years. BTW I really like the name you gave it! Can't believe that Oddjob didn't think of that pun!:bigsmile:

Looking forward to more!

Here's a photo of my front carrier on my first ever RRB BO Build, Beer Boy Delivery.

View attachment 237478

Here's a vid on how I RaT-ified it to match the rest of the bike. It's kind of like watching a re-run of an old TV show.... 9 years ago!

That looks good Oddjob. Do you use the same techniques still?
I used a burner once to give wood that really old charred look, loved to do it.

Just catching up here. There's so many earlier posts that I wanted to comment on but then every page had more so I'll just keep it simple.

First I have to say great job! So much cool going on! Love the frame and bottom bracket!

Now to catch up with one of the more current posts about the aluminum stem. I really like it in its aluminum finish to go along with the original finish aluminum chain guard. I'm not sure if you decided against the guard but I thought that it looked good. Been wanting to find something similar for another bike of mine. I would be a little concerned about adding speed holes though. Keeping the designed strength might be the difference between dental work or not. Just a thought to consider.

Good job on the paint. I know that I'm late to the party with your venture into faux finish painting but there's lots of cool techniques to explore. You might find some of the finishes that I used on one of my builds from several years ago to be useful. Here's a link. It's really cool to see how far the the mustard (rustard) process has traveled over the years. BTW I really like the name you gave it! Can't believe that Oddjob didn't think of that pun!:bigsmile:

Looking forward to more!

Thanks Renaissance man! Appreciate you taking the time and read through my thread. The faux finish is a first for me, but I will certainly check your link out.
Funny now that I think of it; you said "late to the party" and we have a saying here in the Netherlands: "Mosterd na de maaltijd". Literally translated: Mustard after diner :bigsmile:

I certainly intend to keep the chainguard!

At the moment I am (hand) sanding the fenders to bare aluminum. Powdercoat is hard to get off without sandblasting.

I'll post pictures soon!

Last edited:
Small updates:

I have all the screws to assemble the fenders. Will lightly ratify them too. Only old style screws, no allen or torx.

At the moment I am sanding the fenders.

20230620_204348.jpg

Before

20230620_204351.jpg

Progress. 80 grit.

20230620_220210.jpg

20230620_220217.jpg

Nasty!

I do like the yellow stains and pits here and there. Maybe I can turn them orange and sand lightly again.

20230618_103257.jpg

Cranks cut off! Now they can spin 360 degrees!

20230618_221822.jpg

Finally found a 32mm clamp for the chaincover. Probably tougher than necessary, but I like that.

20230618_221955.jpg

Need to fabricate a 90 degree bracket too.

20230618_221959.jpg

Looking good so far!

Thanks y'all!

Funny now that I think of it; you said "late to the party" and we have a saying here in the Netherlands: "Mosterd na de maaltijd". Literally translated: Mustard after diner :bigsmile:
😂😂😂

I was wondering about the yellow fenders. :grin: That's a lot of work!

I agree about leaving some yellow remnants in the pits , etc.

T-RaTctor oN~!

View attachment 237783
Oil stains and stripes, that is a cool tractor!
The 'lived' dirty industrial look has something magic to me. And they made this one in the theme of my buildoff bike! How awesome :grin:

Sanding is quite the job! Sanding the rear is done. After 80, I used 320 and a fine gritty sponge after that.
I painted the inside "matte black/grey".

I will tryout a bit with orange pits and spray paint when I'm done with sanding the front fender.

Result for now:

20230623_223042.jpg

Pretty cool huh!

20230623_225058.jpg

Inside paint drying.

Painting the inside of the rims a darker, matte color is something I picked up from @kingfish254 when I built my " 53' Shelby Bel-Airflow ". It is a great way to make them 'disappear'.

I assume you will be using your RaT-ina paint skills on these bare fenders, yes?

Painting the inside of the rims a darker, matte color is something I picked up from @kingfish254 when I built my " 53' Shelby Bel-Airflow ". It is a great way to make them 'disappear'.

I assume you will be using your RaT-ina paint skills on these bare fenders, yes?
That is just my thought Oddjob! I picked that idea from this forum, maybe even from your 53 Shelby!

Since I sincerely like this aluminum dented fender, the only Ratina thing I consider are bits of orange where the yellow now is left.
I recognize aluminum not rusting brown, so I can't live with that :p

Latest posts

Back