The "Received Wrong Parts, Wrong Size" Blues

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have to vent. I hope for some sympathy because I'll bet a lot of you have been here.

STRIKE ONE:
I bought a lean-back seatpost off the forums here. I hoped it would fit but it does not. My bad.

STRIKE TWO:
I ordered a drum brake built into a "26" Cruiser Wheel" from a vendor on ebay. The wheel he sent has a rim that is less than 1" wide. Is that a "cruiser" rim in anybody else's opinion? I have never seen a rim this narrow except on a road bike or racer!

STRIKE THREE:
Ordered a set of Electra shorty fenders off Amazon and they are too wide for my fork & frame. They weren't expensive and maybe I can adapt them, but still I feel a bit defeated.

....long...ragged....sigh.

Tim

I feel your pain Tim...this kind of stuff has happened to me a lot lately when I ordered online.

Very frustrating to wait and wait with high hopes only to find you can't use your new parts! :x

this seems to be my problem alot. but not so much buying, but just not having the right size. i usually have to adapt it, but yeah, it gets annoying really quick. and usually doesnt work in the end. but hang in there. :mrgreen:

I am already getting over it. I realize that situations like this have time and time again caused members of this forum to rise to the occasion and come up with ingenious solutions and inspired adaptations.

The wheel builder has already gotten back to me and has agreed to remake the wheel and resend it on his dime. All I have to do is pay the return shipping and send a rim I want to use instead. Fair enough. Just so that I make a good decision here I told him I'd take photos of the rims and get his approval before I started cutting up spokes.

For the seatpost, I will come up with a solution for adapting that oversized tube. But in the meantime, the Lucky Seven seatpost that came with the 1910 Peerless frameset might work fine. I ned a different solution for the Peerless anyway because the seat I want to use would not mate with the Lucky 7 style seatpost.

I'll mess with the fenders some other day. I'll either work something out or have "fun" trying.

Thanks for listening, folks!

Cheers,
Tim

I've been there too...3 strikes for me as well. :?

Mine were all eBay purchases. (Two were my fault for pulling the trigger on Buy-It-Nows before asking questions.}

1. Buy it now on eBay...JC Higgins straightbar frame. Wanted it for a klunker project. Auction description didn't say what size frame. I assumed it was 26". When it arrived...it was a 24". Luckily it was cheap (30 bux shipped)...but it still sits in my parts pile.

2. Another cheap BIN on eBay....chrome 26" BMX forks. Was 9.99 BIN. I recieved them...and the steerer tube was too short for the Schwinn frame it was going on. (was for the same cursed klunker build...they still sit on the parts pile as well)

3. This was also intended for the same klunker build. Bought some Nitto bullmoose bars on eBay. This time, i asked the seller about the stem diameter. He assured me it was .833 (13/16) . When i got them...they were 7/8! He told me to send them back and he would send the right size and refund my shipping. Seller ignored my emails after i sent them back. Had to file a claim w/Paypal. They got me the refund of the initial puchase/shipping price...but not the return shipping (even though the seller said he would re-imburse me). So i had no bars and i was out the $15 i spent to return them.

I feel a little better knowing i'm not the only one this happens to. :D

-Paul

sssidewinder said:
I've been there too...3 strikes for me as well. :?

Mine were all eBay purchases. (Two were my fault for pulling the trigger on Buy-It-Nows before asking questions.}

-Paul

Yes, I get into trouble that way as well. I don't feel so bad on the items I ---KNOW--- I am taking a chance on and they don't quite work, but when I ---DO--- ask the right questions and it still turns out bad....UGH!!!

Tim

Trust me Tim, you are not alone.

Part of my 'learning experience' in this hobby has yielded more more a few boxes of 'not quite' parts...oh well, we are building custom bikes right!...... :mrgreen:

Build on and 'make it work'.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Back