The Real Alexander Rocket Post

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife went to a local estate sale for me, because I was working. She is trained to ask about old bicycles and the lady said she had one that she already sold and "it was a from the 30s or 40s and made right here in Paris, Texas". I went back to the sale early this morning and the lady told me it was a "mountain bike, made especially for her mother". I showed her some Rocket pictures and she said that was it. My heart began racing as she said "I think I have a picture on my phone". She soon found a picture, showed it to me, and I woke up 30 minutes later in the emergency room with a defibrillator attached to my chest. Once I recovered, she was able to tell me who she sold it to, for a price that I am embarrassed to mention out of courtesy. I was able to track down the buyer, who told me she bought it "because it was pretty". After I convinced her it was more than pretty and that it was a rare bicycle that should be preserved and protected by someone who knows how (me, of course), we were able to arrive at a price. It is a small town and we had mutual acquaintances, so that probably helped seal the deal. I did thank her on behalf of antique bicycle aficionados everywhere that she sold it to someone who knew and understood the significance of the bike and would be proud of it, preserve it and share it's story with enthusiasts. I have been searching for a Rocket for over 10 years, so this is a BIG DEAL for me. I HAVE NO PLANS TO SELL. And I am going back to find the daughter of the original owner to get more details on the history and will post here when I do.

Great detective work!! Super cool bike. Good luck hunting down the rest of the information on it. Another bike saved for the future. Now you have to change your name to Rocket man...lol

Have never seen one of those before.. that's an outta this world design for sure...
great score and great story.. can't wait to read more

P.S. that looks like a frame design that as a small boy I would not want to slide off the seat due to a sudden stop lol

FYI - EBAY ad of similar bike:
$(KGrHqVHJCUFGnNfS((jBRsLSKJWKQ~~60_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1930-039-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Super find and story!!!

Wow, awesome find and story! I think the best part is that it is a one owner bike, and you can get some history on it. Couldn't be happier for you, congratulations!!!

Can you see any manufacture marks on the tubing? On mine you could see YOUNGSTOWN on the smaller tubes, raised just a bit, along with other forming marks.
BTW: your exclusive membership shwag awaits:

07122015_008.JPG
From what I have discovered, the tubing is either waterpipe or generic tubing you would find in that time period. I will inspect mine more thoroughly soon.

Back