The Rail 7

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EXTREMELY small update....
Picked up a front wheel and tire ('skinny' Kenda whitewall 26 x 2.125) at Double Nickle's show, it will survive wheelies a LOT better than the 26 x 1 3/8 that was on there before.
BBB9E7D9-1426-4E5C-BE89-B5882245CAB7_zpsgrczflin.jpg

I've decided to try and use the stick shifter, it just needs a little more 'love' to make it sit better on the twin top tubes.
A9D2464A-6ECA-4C22-BBAF-01698170F399_zpsnifssrxd.jpg

Here's where I need some input.....
I'd like to run the shifter cable high, along the seatstays, instead of low along the chainstays. Can I do that with the Nexus 7 or does it have to be parallel to the coaster brake arm? I guess I could always mount the brake to the seat stay too, huh?

I have a sweet 'braided' silver cable housing for the bike already, but if I can go with this line for the cable, I may consider using aluminum tubing or brake line instead....
42E0CD78-D50B-4025-A403-CE3C1A850FE0_zps5d8toy5k.jpg

CB334DC8-608C-4D1A-8A93-AD030643C6C3_zpsaphm5l6g.jpg

7702A497-C236-4B55-A00A-119E7A9609F0_zpstgddjv9g.jpg

Put the Long Jon seat on, man it's cool
3FE851DE-A9A2-47CE-8BDE-EFD3E855CF4B_zps4altr4kk.jpg

One last shot....
CFDA2CDB-2AC2-4553-A9D6-73B94663D599_zpsxjy7y5dz.jpg

Next steps, swap the Fatti-O whitewall on there, sort out the front fender,trim the fork tubes, send the frame out for sandblasting, fix the rear fender mounts, paint, fit the new headset so I can trim the forks steer tube, blah, blah, blah...

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's cool. Now, comfortable......we'll see. I may need to find a way to add some additional, thin, padding to it. Also, it's kinda of ivory in color, my grips are white (with a capital W), the chainguard and seatpost decals are white, I'm probably overthinking it..... :D I've got more important issues to work through first.

Got the stack height and front fender sorted today.
Used a 1" star nut, an NOS middleweight Schwinn fender
0090baaa509af2984e4266a4f6751bb7.jpg

dc55c6f505eb391800cc575a0b6b4845.jpg

468196dad3f7a4c5235573169a0ba97b.jpg

That cartridge bearing headset is nice, like butta'
577e2e04a74c126ef100579633cc54ce.jpg

Cheers,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It worked pretty well. I may need to elongate the hole in the fender to accommodate the angle of the fork-to-fender or flatten the ends of the fender supports o permit them to angle up slightly. Right now, it's pulling the star nut out. I'll figure it out.... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny story on that....yeshoney had it for sale, I made a non-committal comment of interest on it. But in the meantime, Terry66 bought it. No big deal, right?
Fast forward a few months, Terry66 PMs me and says he's going a different direction and offers the seat to me for what he paid for it from yeshoney.

Now that's a 'stand up' guy, if you ask me. These guys are both awesome people and assets to RRB.

OK, the star nut didn't work due to the tubular fork legs and the position of the dropouts....
But, have no fear, I got it sorted.
I used two stem wedge nuts, went to Home Depot an picked out an M10 x 1.25 bolt. For assembly, I reamed out the hole on the fender and the threads on one of the wedges. I ran the bolt through the fender, slipped the reamed wedge on, then threaded on the other wedge. Everything tucked into the bottom of the fork (except for about 3/8"), when I tightened it down it functioned like a mini 'stem' setup. No pics, but I'll show it in the final assembly pics.

Speaking of final I'm concerned that I may not make the deadline. With the holidays and work, I'm not sure there's time....... :(

Guess we'll see..

Well I look at mine and think... it's not quite got everything I want on it. BUT it is a roller and what bike truely is ever done? There's always a tweak or an upgrade that can be done. So present what you have on the 31st. It's a good bike bro.

Carl.

one mans unfinished bike is another mans finished bike,just like a nice girl going out for a night in town sometimes you slap too much makeup on,the deadline is near the end,but guys and girls like us?...there's never a deadline on our own builds,deep breath,and cruise to the end

OK, it's official, I have to bail out of the MMBO.
With my job, family commitments and holidays, there just isn't enough time to finish this build in time.... :(
I know, I know, "enter what you can get done", well that's not me. I need to iron out too many details to put my name on it at this point.
I'm going ask a moderator to love this the standard 'Builds' section.

Besides, there's already too many VHT coppertone bikes entered this year! :D
Best of luck to the rest of the entrants!

Cheers all!
Dr. T

Oh No:arghh: Better luck next year or maybe we see ya in the winter buildoff:thumbsup:
Merry Christmas to you n family..

Latest posts

Back