The Rail 7

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I have seen someone on here did a frame in a bathtub...

Luke.

I was thinking something more close to the size of the frame like those under the bed storage totes or even just rigging some boards up and lining it with plastic sheeting to keep from needing as much vinegar (the cheap stuff is around $2.50/gal)

maybe a person could set up a pump system like one of those bird bath pumps have it spray or trickle over the frame stand the frame up long ways in a tub and let the pump recirculate the
vinegar you can find them pumps fairly cheap or at flea markets or maybe the pump from a parts washer but they may not be continuous use seems likes that may work pretty well if some places didnt get wet you could put a rag there and let it wick to cover that area

Last edited:
hope you dont mind the rambling just ideas in my head sometimes i lay in bed all night thinking about this stuff

Does the vinegar work well what kind do you use white or apple how long do you usually let it soak?sorry if it seems like interigation
I use simple white vinegar, how long things soak depends on the amount/severity of the rust. For this crank, it was pretty crusty, I soaked it for about a day. Wire wheeled it, and put it back in for another day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rail may be the best thing huffy ever did.
I want one like this.
3329406471_b1f72d6386_o.jpg

Picked up my new sealed bearing headset, need smooth steering while doing wheelies, right? It's a nice light unit, even came with the proper bottom race.

639eb029216ac50625857029eb370997.jpg

Second gear:
Took advantage of a 'work from home' day and did some frame modding.
A couple blocks of 2x4, a rubber mallet, some all-thread and vóla!
b2b3fb73bad39235d409f9be4202d700.jpg

51d107dc55b6819b2a821ab209f530cb.jpg

We have a roller!
1133dd135a8dca4ee84ba4e29fa80ba9.jpg

There's plenty of room in the rear, in case the wheel needs to come forward a little in the dropouts.
a11e3fe50e65b4c507d8d1a5acef3261.jpg

The stem will be much lower, once I get the tubes trimmed.
499004a701ee2209a57b1a39807a1b07.jpg

I set the fork at this height by using a 26 x 2.35, that way, if I want to go with a fatter tire up front, I'll have space.

It will sit like this until I get a crank and chainring so I can check chain clearance against the tire. Anyone know if you can flip the cog on a Nexus 7 to get a little more offset?

Until then, stay classy RRB!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Last edited:
I'm with spastic about raising it up a bit.

Short triple tree forks look cool in a motorcycle way.
Obviously you'd cut them down...
be cool if they were springers too...
low seat, low bars, hmm Cafe Racer?

Carl.

Latest posts

Back