"The Quest" railway bike... am I missing something?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So, I was watching "The Quest" (1986), with Henry Thomas, which I haven't watched in years. In the beginning, he has outfitted a Schwinn Cruiser 5 to ride on railroad rails. The other children seem pretty ecstatic about his endeavor to reach higher speeds. Was this an actual phenomenon which I missed? I am in the age bracket for this movie, which I used to watch as a kid. I don't remember anyone really outfitting bikes for this, though we used to try to ride on the rails for as long as possible, more as a balancing act. Does anyone know if this was a popular activity, or merely something to lend to the feel of the film, and the ingenuity and creativity of the main character? Thanks

I saw an old magazine ad on this forum from the 40's or 50's that showed a bike on a rail. It had a bracket of some sort that went from the bike to the opposite rail to keep it in line. Gary

Something I found on line...
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ing-bicycle-railroad-tracks-attachment-95495/

from 1908 Sears cat...
sears.jpg

Rail riding had brief popularity back in the day, and some people are trying to revive it.

The problem with doing it now is, one it's illegal to be on the tracks, even on foot. You can rail ride abandoned tracks with permission of course, either from the rail company or land owner.

And that's the other issue, a lot of the abandoned tracks have become rails to trails bike paths. That's not a bad thing, but doesn't leave anything for rail riding.

There are places where you can pay to ride a pedal powered cart on the tracks, but personally I'd rather build my own.

The topic of legality and danger of being on the rails has come up before, but I'm saying this as a person who has spent 95% of his adult life traveling by any means available.

If you want to ride rails, get permission on an abandoned line. The last thing you want is to get hit by a train or come face to face with a "bull". If I had an option, I'd take on the train.

If you have any rural rails in your area you can just ask around, you never know.

Ok I'm finished.

Latest posts

Back