The promise....huffy thunder road rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i wasnt gonna post a build thread yet but what the heck....this is gonna move a little slow since im always busy.

So ive has this frame for a little over 20 years...my late father and i used to junk yard hop for cruiser frames and came across this one in a pile of stingrays. Since i didnt have a job or a license that young and wanted money to finish my lowrider bike i sold him this frame....he eventually gave it back when i moved but made me promise never to sell it. Here we are almost over 20 years later and im finally doing something with it.
First things first...in for some pinstriping over the original patina....

Next we throw on a vintage worn metalflake seat and cut down sissy bar. .....and my favorite part of this build...big ol fat 20x2.40 whitewalls!!!

This is where she stands right now but stay tuned!!
The stingray fork is just to roll it around.....

Ok mock up time:
I was originally rocking the 63 stingray fork just to roll it around but im actually starting to like it....what'd you guys think?
Flows really well with the front downtube...

That looks good, but it needs more in the front. Either some truss rods, or a springer. Seems like with a cool banana seat/sissy bar set up in the back, it needs something cool in the front to balance it out.

Just an opinion, of course. It already looks good.

Truthfully i was already thinking about stuff for the front....the bike is far from done luckily

Well my few watchers here she is for today.....installed complete bottom end, pieced together 3 different chains, chopped the top of the seat post and bolted the seat straight to the clamp, installed some dumb pedals i had laying around. For flair i added an original mobil badge to the front and a state farm badge to the rear....time to go cruise crackers.

ALOT more to come as time allows.

I like it, the big rear tire and the saddle in this position want a nice bobbed fender IMO :D
It would look good with some 20" version of a monark springer...one of those curvy lowrider-like springers would ruin the look I think

Actually on this one i went with fat tires front and back...theyre 2.40 bmx tires from Duo.
I do agree though, i was intending on a stingray style springer but it just seemed too easy, too cut-n-paste....i never intended to run the stingray straight fork but it turned out looking so good i think ill leave it....i wanted to stay as far away from the lowrider line as possible....

I think the angle of the photo makes it look more extreme than it is...the seat post on the frame was cut flush and the seat is bolted straight to the seat clamp....

Latest posts

Back