the Merc

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first build off and I'm really looking forward to it.
I've got this prewar frame, I'm not sure what it is maybe a rollfast or Zep... don't know.
Also this Murray Mercury springer, not sure what direction I'm going with it but it should be fun.
frame-1.jpg

by the way, do check the frame over very carefully for cracks, especially around the seat post, where the top and second tube join and just forward, I have seen cracks there, I just sold one a couple weeks ago to a fellow Ratrodder and it was cracked under the paint

olschbp said:
by the way, do check the frame over very carefully for cracks, especially around the seat post, where the top and second tube join and just forward, I have seen cracks there, I just sold one a couple weeks ago to a fellow Ratrodder and it was cracked under the paint
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out when I strip the paint.

Were the original forks missing or bent? I'm thinking it was in a crash, It looks like the seat tube has a bend in it and the head tube angle is a little too vertical. Or maybe that's the way it's supposed to be.

It looks like it will be a great bike. I can never find those frames built before 1950.

Ooooo,how embarassing,IB57...for me that is! I'm going to use the same front end on my RRBO4 bike.Mine was in a wreck (B4 I got it).I got it stripped down today for blasting then I'll replace the steer tube on it.I have never done this before so I'm excited to give it a try.Your build,however,appears as though its off to a great,smooth start.I'm really looking forward to seeing the end result...look'in fine...Pappy 8)

I'll have to go back and read the rules again. If it says, (you don't have to have wheels) then you're finished. Sweet looking frame. I'll be watching this one.

Back