The Mantis

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First "documented" build here. I've been lurking on this site for quite some time and learned a metric buttload from all the talented folks on here. This won't be a fast build, or one full of expensive or rare parts. There will be some light fabrication and using non-standard hardware supplies. I'm tentatively calling it "The Mantis" as it will be a light olive frame with all silver/chrome done flat brown.

It's based off of a Huffy cantilever frame I found on the side of the road about 7 years ago and a 1978 Free Spirit 3 speed women's bike. First mock-up is as follows:
MantisMockUp1_zpsf4ff4444.jpg

The 32T sprocket is a must for hill climbing. First gear is like a mountain goat. Third is still pretty good for cruising. Not going to win any races, though.

I've fitted the Free Spirit fenders and moved the shifter to the (cut-off handlebar) layback seatpost. Shortened the cable to match. First draft had a small light, which looked pretty sharp without the fenders. Once I added them, it looked out of place.
MantisSmallLight_zpse3010dc1.jpg

So, I made a bigger light that looks more proportional.
MantisBigLight_zpsfdf7bb42.jpg

That's it for now. I was hoping to start prepping for paint this weekend, but rain is in the forecast.

Yes, that's an Altoids tin battery box. Just a hint of things to come. And please forgive the mess, genius at work...not so much.

Cheers!

Thanks!

Currently, she is broken down for paint prep. I'm going to scuff all silver/chrome and paint it a dark flat brown. I'm toying with putting texture under the final color, like RRBO7 Fairbanks Flyer but without the faux rust coloring. That bike came out awesome, BTW. I'm like 51% no to 49% yes, so we'll see. I'm planning to strip the frame to bare steel and grind down the sloppiest welds I've ever seen. Then, high build primer and a pale olive green on it and the fenders. In my mind it will be awesome. Hopefully the execution follows suit.

One problem I'm having is the tail light. I had glorious plans of a beer cap tail light on the end of the "seatpost". Great in theory, not in execution.
MantisTailLight_zpsf34521a9.jpg

It can only be seen directly behind me and at a certain angle. It will have to be moved. Either directly to the rear fender and flush mounted, or to the rear drop out. I want to put it on the left (think "driver's side) for easier traffic visibility, but my 3-speed assembly and coaster arm are already on that side (Shimano 3cc). Probably going fender flush mount.

Cheers!

Back