The Hangover Cure

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
druggedonions said:
web.jpg

I'm liking this more than I thought I would. It isn't what I was aiming for but I feel it works well together.

Cheers for now.
Jonnie

Yeah I really like the look of that rack. It may have been done on the Rust Rocket but it never gets old when it's done on the right kind of bike. Awesome rat, that thing has got a great blend of new old fat skinny handmade and homemade....

But I think that seat's gonna pinch a bit! :oops:

Keep on rollin'!
--Rob

herr_rudolf said:
Heheh...
Okay, now I can't sleep... :shock:
:wink:

Oh wait, I see you got the right amount of spokes and a matching hub/rim this time...
:wink:

Sorry 'bout that. And yes I've obviously not got a problem counting up to 20. :D

And thanks Rob that's very nice of you to say. Regarding the seat, I'm going to charge money to folk with unwanted hair issues. :shock:

Not had much time to do any more work on this. Got parts back from being blasted and waiting for the lovely Scottish weather to let up so I can do some painting. Which brings me on to some influences I have for this ride.

First is obvious:
rustrocket_zine_e1.jpg

Second:
10-die-model-wg.jpg

Third: WARNING THIS WILL HURT YOUR EYES AND MAY LEAD TO OTHER PSYCHOLOGICAL ISSUES (don't tell me you weren't warned)

web.jpg

I'll hopefully post more soon.

Cheers Jonnie

Black Adder said:
I've got a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a fox

Not much been going on here but I hope to make more progress in the coming week. First off I've been working on an idea for the rear light.
IMG_1284.jpg

My boss's bike has a rear LED that stays on when he pulls up at traffic lights. Thing is, it isn't battery powered :p I figure if I can put a capacitor in line with my dynamo and LED I can replicate what he's got going on. Only problem is I can't get the LED to light with the cap. in the circuit.

Back to the cunning plan eh?
Well my wife and I have been talking about building the kids a wendy house. We've got a small garden and little spare cash. And l guess like most folk here, are reluctant to spend money if they don't have to. Anyway, my buddy and I set about making something from the spare timber we have at the store.
IMG_1286.jpg

And this means in the evenings this week, I get to go up and work on the wendy house 'cause it needs a few coats of paint before it goes into the garden with these balmy Scottish summer weather.
IMG_1288.jpg

Looks like the wendy house isn't the only thing that'll be getting a few coats of paint.

All the best, everybody's builds are really coming along well. I'm enjoying looking through most peoples when I got time. Great work going on.
Cheers Jonnie

Ok so here's another update. I've managed to get wee things done over the last few days. Mainly under the pretense of painting the wendy house (which I have been) just not for as long as I've been at the store. Anyway, karma has caught up with me and yesterday they started clearing the place of old sets and scenic cloths that haven't been used in years.

What I managed to do was get some primer on a lot of things and paint on some of it.
web.jpg

Expensive Rust-o-leum paint is not very good in my opinion.
web.jpg

But the results aren't bad. Still to try my hand at pinstipping. :|

In other news. After my epic fail at my rear light, I might have made some progress.
web.jpg

This is going to be my front and rear light assemblies. To cut a long story short, capacitors wouldn't work in the set-up I had, but re-chargeable batteries do. So I've put four of them (6v) in series and I think it's going to work. 8) I will however have hours of standby time when the dynamo is off.

Cheers for now
Jonnie

Great color combo on the chainguard. Looking forward the light system install. Loving the overall build.

Thanks 2dawgs, or can i call you twa dugs?

The rear light is proving to be a real headache. At the moment I've had to put the tungsten lamp back in as the LED wasn't working properly. In fact the LED was getting dimmer and going off entirely when I turned the cranks :x :oops: :cry:
But the head scratching and pushing my knowledge/understanding is what this is all about for me, so I'm having fun. :lol:

Anyway, we're off to my folks this weekend and then I'm heading north to work on my tank and grips with a mate. I've got the rest of the week off work too, so I should make some progress.

Cheers Jonnie

p.s. I was gutted to read that you'd had to step out of the build off. :( I can understand the reasons behind the decision, but it's still a shame to hear. I was really enjoying following your build. I hope to see it finished when you have more time. Take it easy, and enjoy watching us scratching our heads and sweating it out to the end.

Re: The Hangover Cure. !st mock up

herr_rudolf said:
but I have something against a larger rim in the front.

These words have been ringing in my ears for a while. In fact I spent almost an hour last week looking back at the bike whilst painting the kids play house. It was mentioned in another build (but I can't for the life of me find which one, :oops: ) so I decided to do something about it. Another trip to the re-cycling shop followed by the sandblasters and finally the store for paint and I had a front wheel. The tyre and spokes where here when I got back from my trip so whilst my daughter had her nap. i put together a mock up.
web.jpg

This is pretty much it. Except for lights and some other details.

The tank took a little longer to make than expected. First off, we had to find the right size of log. My mates wife had been driving home when she spotted this guy about to set fire to some wood. Being the wife of a wood worker she stuck her brass neck out and asked if she could have some. He said yes and with the car loaded she carried on home. A couple weeks later, I turn up and find a piece of sycamore with a bit of a story and a good future.
web.jpg

This is going to be your new home.
web.jpg

But only after we've taken the skin off your back.
web.jpg

We'll have to take something out your middle too, I'm affraid
web.jpg

But after that you'll be treated real well.

We never had time to do the grips, but I've been promised them once my mate sets his lathe up.

Cheers for now.
Jonnie

Re: The Hangover Cure - Hair of the Dog

Dr. T, Rodderz, Lonewolf and slowerisbetter. Thanks for the comments, glad you like it.

There is a saying in Scotland, and most likely further afield that the best cure for a hangover is the "hair of the dog that bit you". Now this wasn't the initial thought behind this, but I was having a dram one evening and remembered seeing hip flasks on bikes and I'm down with that. Question is how to go about it. I had some cable left over from wiring my kitchen a year ago so thought I could use and make something to hang the hippy in the frame or below the seat. This is solid core stuff not the flex so once bent, it would stay bent. I managed last night to strip the plastic off a few lengths.
web.jpg

The cat approves of my new build material.

I got a couple of ideas done and went downstairs to try them out. What struck me was how well my hippy matched the contour of the tyre.
web.jpg

So my plan's to make a stubby fender, that masks my crappy welding and is a hangover cure. :D

Hopefully I'll get time to play with the idea tonight.
Cheers Jonnie

What gives with the Hangover??
Wake up! I need a liquor counterpart!

kingfish254 said:
What gives with the Hangover??
Wake up! I need a liquor counterpart!

It's no where near finished is were it's at. :cry:

As I might have mentioned, I was on holiday for a week two weeks ago. During which I got very little done on the bike.
web.jpg

Managed to paint the wheels. But I can't put them back together until I have a go at pin striping them. Also got to try striping the chain guard. I also tried to weld on my head lamp bracket. This failed three times. So the lights have been ditched. I've not got the time to do everything and the lights now are the biggest job.

Since then, I had a short tour with a band I have worked with for many years. Really good fun and a few long drives, but there wasn't the space and i didn't have materials with me to do anything on the bike. If there had been, believe me I would have been doimng something on the bike. And this week, we've got our own Blues and Americana music festival that there is still a bit of work to be done on before I spend three days working with the bands. But I really plan on getting this bike done in so far that it looks like a finished article. Not quite sure how the time zones work out but expect some murky garage photo taken in the early hours.

Finally, I did manage to get some internets when I was away and follow some of the other builders progress. The standard is great and I'm really hoping a lot of builders finish.

Cheers Jonnie

scott brownsey said:
hi what is the rear tire it fits perfect good job
Hi Scott,

It's an Electra Fatti-O, like all good engineering projects tolerances are tight. Thanks for the comment.
Cheers Jonnie

Wow!! For the first time I've been able to properly catch up on all ya'lls builds. Insane the skills going on here. Certainly enough to give me a shove in the right direction.

I'd managed to get a bit done before things kicked off Friday.
web.jpg

Got the last bit of paint on my wheels.
web.jpg

And chain guard.

Tonight I finished off my bars. I started out by wrapping the ends in gaffer/duck tape to build up some cushioning and bulk. Then I taped in some beer caps and finished it off with some black electrical tape.

The only :shock: things to do now is true the wheels, put this thing together and get some pics. No bother 8)

Thanks for looking.
Cheers Jonnie

Jonnie,

Give it your all; I am pulling for you to finish this beauty. I feel so guilty that I am trying to finish my build at the 11th hour (don't know if it will happen). Just so you know love the creativity going to your build.

Re: The Hangover Cure - Finished

Thanks guys. It has really helped me get this done. :D I've got to wait till later to get some pics, because it was late (by this household's stadards) when I got finished. I say finished… I've still got the headlight to light up but I don't foresee any problems (famous last words eh?)

So what did I get up to apart from the headlight. Well some magnets arrived yesterday so I drilled wee holes in the tank and glued them in. The sensible thing to have done was to take the time and line the holes up, but I did it by eye. A couple lined up okay but the rest were out so I had some opposing :x I took all but the couple that lined up and put galvinesed tack, from felting the wendy house (remember the wendy house?, still not quite finished). Anyway, the magnetic power still wasn't quite enough so I drilled more holes and glued in more magnets.
web.jpg

Oh and since I got my photos going again. Here's one of the bar ends.
web.jpg

My phone camera doesn't do macros, my arm looks in focus though :)
And the final pic from last night.
web.jpg

Hopefully I'll get daylight pics done later.

Cheers Jonnie

Latest posts

Back