the Grunge Rudge

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Robbing Hood build has been dropped. I'm playing my " get to change bikes once " card. If anyone has posted on that thread then you know why. It was a fun build :cry: R.I.P

This is my new bike choice, a '58 Rudge from the bottom of the pig pile.
58-Rudge-02a.JPG

I know that your thinking it's nearly done but I'll add to it. I have lots of ideas and it will be the Grunge Rudge when I'm done.

GL

hmmmm...i kinda like it. i can see some pretty cool things that could happen here.

I have a similar style bike in my stash,I'm looking forward to seeing this one! Sorry about the other build :|

Graylock said:
The Robbing Hood build has been dropped. I'm playing my " get to change bikes once " card. If anyone has posted on that thread then you know why. It was a fun build :cry: R.I.P

This is my new bike choice, a '58 Rudge from the bottom of the pig pile.
58-Rudge-02a.JPG

I know that your thinking it's nearly done but I'll add to it. I have lots of ideas and it will be the Grunge Rudge when I'm done.

GL

What?!, no palm sprocket? Bummer! Good to see the English thing take off in this buildoff. I was feelin' kinda' lonely the last time around. :)

BrigmasterA said:
what happened to robbing hood? I liked that name and I really liked the sprocket...

Robbing Hood had a fork custom bend with zero trail. I could have replaced it or fixed it but the bike was way to tall. I have better plans for it cutting down the seat tube and bending the back stays to it. It will retain that name.

As for the sprocket. I have the hand from the other Rudge but may not use it. Going through my rim options and tires is my first concern. The paint schedule has been decided.
After that ?

The best part is the teardown. I just love the sound of loose bearings dancing their merry way across the floor! Going away this weekend to Vermont, maybe go bike look'n, but I won't be working on the Grunge Rudge :( .

GL

Back to the build or at least the teardown. Last night I took it down just shy of the loose bearings. I boxed what I needed for my '53 Rudge and put what I needed in a plastic tub. Then I pondered :roll: . Got together some stuff and did some mock ups and pondered some more :roll: . Got some ideas that I'd like to try.

Back again tonight to chase bearings. 22 for the cranks. I was as careful as I could but one bearing made a break for it. It thought it could trick me by making it's way under the rolling work bench but couldn't jump the air hose. Stupid bearing!
Took the fork apart, 50 little freaking bearings dry as a bone. No escapees!
Found the left crank was bent inward so I placed it in the wood vice and wailed on it with a 2X4, well not really wailed on it, more like a couple of well placed wacks, the first only getting it's attention. Works for me, looks like it will be OK. Also cleaned the chrome parts with Lemon Pledge and fine steel wool. The chrome looks good for now with all the grunge off it. Gotta get the wheel package together and clean up the frame.

Later,
GL

those english headsets are all sorts of fun to rebuild with all those loose bearings

A small note. I have been taking pictures but not much to show. Just trying to keep the journal going.

Got my rear hub sorted out but need to follow up with chain alignment, such a pain in the butt with uncaged bearings on the bottom bracket. The bearings have to be placed in their races with grease. I think this will be done when the frame is finished, I only want to do this once. It looks close and I feel that a few spacers should do it.
The chain is soaking in chain brine, I just got tired of cleaning. Also those little freaking head set bearings, all 50 of 'em, need to be cleaned. No biggie, the part I hate doing is nearly done.

Oh, and I solved the " I hate to paint " thing I'm so fond of. I ran the finish thing by my bike shop friends and it blew their minds. I'll run the pictures when the finish is underway and hope it's worth it. So far I've spent $10.

GL

All the bikes in this build off are the coolest. Some wild stuff out there.

karfer, you know what? you keep sitting and waiting for me ya buttss going to get fat.lol, why don't you go build that goast trike we all know ya have. i''be gone for a week but i will be keeping my eye on ya. later

Outlaw

I like where your going with this...........Lemon pledge?......personally I would've used "BEHOLD".....to each they're own, I guess.

I started taring mine down this past weekend....ooops your supposed to keep those little metal things that rolled out on my shop floor :shock: actually I had everything in a plastic bin on top of my bench, then I slammed the door shut since the catch is a little tough an everything went flying to the floor, so my headset bearings are 75% complete :cry: Good luck with yours :mrgreen:

I'm riding more 'cause of the weather, is this why we build bikes? The schoolie Bass are running in the bay, been doing that. The fish are doing better than I but it's early in the season and the the big ones are coming along with the Blue fish. Until then I'm fooling with the Grunge Rudge.

This week I picked up some british racing green or a facsimile, close enough for frame accents. Saturday night on the way to a Red Molly concert I persuaded my wife to help me pick out the rest of my frame colors.

GR-FakePaint.JPG

:shock: What is that? That is so not right! That is my frame colors. You will get a better idea once this fake paint gets on the bike.
Also yesterday my LBS keeper and I picked out some tires. The brand slips my mind now but as I remember it was a 1.5 by 26 with black sidewall and red tread. I was looking for full red tires but the sizes were either to small or to big. These should be in this week but I won't.

Going to La Jolla for a week with the whole fam damily and won't be able to work on the Rudge, but when I get back I'll get busy on the build. Next pictures will be more bike like.

GL

Back