The Gnash Single *(2 weeks later)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
taking advice from Multipass's How to build a low-buck Fixie over in Other Bikes, i went to work on this 1983 Ross Force One mountain bike that i found at a thrift store and converted it to a freewheel single-speed.

the seat that was on it was just a plastic shell, so a trip to the pile-'o-parts gave me a nice springy old seat. the original Bullmoose handlebars are murder on my neck and wrists, so new, more upright stem and handlebars are a priority. bear trap pedals are coming off another old mtb. and maybe i should invest in a crank puller to get rid of that unused chain ring.

RF1.jpg

Re: The Gnash Single

rooted around and found a stem and some old handlebars with a little rise. big difference! these put me in a more upright and comfortable posture compared to stretching for the ancient original mountain bike bars.

wing.jpg

Hey do you have pics of the seat and bars that came off of it!!??That front wheel and cycle pro tire is what dreams are made of hahadont ever get rid of that set!Cool lookin bike.Nothin really beats a basic single speed!

yeah, how about that gold anodized wheel and hub? i've got the rear around here somewhere - i had the wrong tool to remove the cog set on it, so i used a wheel that matched the removal tool that i had.
below are the original handlebars.

fubar.jpg

bikejunkie said:
Cool lookin bike.Nothin really beats a basic single speed!

thanks! yeah, i'm having fun with it.

Re: The Gnash Single *(2weeks later)

below are the latest changes. the nice Brooks saddle isn't doing anything to help in the rattiness department, but if sure feels good and makes climbing without standing easier than with the old saddle.

next, i'd like to get some balloony street tires, maybe something like the Fat Franks. also got to find a guide for the front brake cable. (i'm digging the big ol' brake lever.)
gnash1.jpg

Fat street tires I really like the Kenda K-Rad. They come in 1.95 and 2.5 and have a light checkerboard sort of tread to them that rolls smooth on pavement or dirt and doesn't dump you on the occasional patch of sand and looks cool. The 2.5 is pretty serious fat.

Highly recommended.

Ronsonic said:
Fat street tires I really like the Kenda K-Rad.

thanks, Ronsonic! you're a fount of good info.

i looked at those and read some reviews and then asked the LBS to get me a pair. the Gnash Single will soon be re-shod with K-Rads.

incidentally, i found an old 80's Schwinn Sierra for cheap that i'm gonna give similar treatment when i acquire a few more parts. these early mountain bikes seem like they were just kinda sturdier road bikes, which makes for an interesting transitional look, IMHO.

Latest posts

Back