The Ghetto Glider ¡Update! 9/2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this old frame from a backyard clean out about 2 years ago,
2ryiqmh.jpg

I liked the lugs and I'm a sucker for green bikes I took apart the bottom bracket and promptly misplaced the pieces. I heard horror stories about English Raleigh's and their 26 tpi threads and how there are no bottom brackets that will fit etc so I shelved it hoping one day to find something that would work. Flash to last weekend and I found the missing bottom bracket parts!
2q0n5ns.jpg

So now the build is on...... I want to do a vintage ratty style with a few modern styling ques. Nothing "shiny" due to the fact its gonna be a commuter to the university (Cal State Long Beach). But its going to be green and black, I'd like to get some of the luster back in the paint (like you can see below that strip was covered by the shifter), any ideas for that?
24kxsvs.jpg

I got these cranks for it
15d6p95.jpg

And I picked up the wheels off of craigs, I want to get these tires but I'm not sure of going with 40 or 35mm and what size tubes to use?
33dbn03.jpg
3460ri1.jpg
30aaopg.jpg

also the wheels are set up for single speed and I'm on the fence about going fixed or free, any thoughts?
I still need pedals and a seat, I would like to score an old beatup black brooks saddle but money is a factor.
the bars are just some old MTN bike straight bars that i cut down and wrapped in black electrical tape.

so theres a start to a new build! any ideas comments are welcome, I'm hoping to get it done and on the road asap school starts next week!

Re: The Ghetto Glider

I love the name!!!!!!Thats a good start Im looking for a set of wheels just like the set you scored! :mrgreen:

Re: The Ghetto Glider

Try a little polishing compound, but go easy with it. If you buff too hard, you can take too much off.

Raleigh frames a perfect city bikes. And Raleigh green is classic. Good thing you found that BB.

So the parts are slowly rolling in.....
heres the Glider as of 9/2 with the black enamel Raleigh cottered crankset, MKS pedals with black doubles, inverted North Road bars and 700c wheels

1425wy8.jpg

Everything is just mocked up I'm still waiting for the tires and tubes, odle style black leather saddle and some black cloth bartape
I decided to give a fixed gear a whirl so we'll se how that goes....

Back