The Future is Here: Trashed Black Friday Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truly sad. My fear is because the BFSs were so relatively cheap (initially) that there's a 'throwaway' mindset to them. To many people, they just "a cheap Schwinn I picked up for 'Jimmy'". To us, people who have an interest that runs deeper, it's tragic to see a possibly 'collectable' bicycle in that condition.
I'm not saying that kids in the 60s and 70s didn't leave their Stingrays out in the rain for years, it just happens.

On a personal note. I live in 'Metro' Atlanta and saw that ad.
Since I'm in the process of gathering parts for a Lil Chik build (as in I have NOTHING for it expect a frame in transit and a dream :roll: ).
I was looking at for parts. Granted IF they can be salvalged, for $75 (or less) I could reuse the apes, stem, headset, crank, BB set, sissy bar, seatpost, rear wheel (planning on painting them anyway), and maybe the front wheel or hub (if I decide to add a little 'Krate' flavor to the build). If I had to buy that stuff individually, the shipping would be more than $75. Besides, I'd still have a set of fenders, a springer fork, maybe a front wheel, a chainring, a seat and a frame to sell/trade. So, with these factors, do think it's worth looking at?

3n53kc3o55Y25Q35U4ac90ddc1c2e66371cc2.jpg

Thoughts???
Cheers!
Dr. T

They were only $88 to begin with. I would think $50 would be the max because that chrome won' t be cleaning up.

cman said:
They were only $88 to begin with. I would think $50 would be the max because that chrome won' t be cleaning up.
Wal-Mart had them for sale at $50 :shock: :shock: :shock: I should have bought a couple :x :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Thanks! I now have a number in mind, I'm thinking $40.
Right on! They are good parts bikes like you said, but dont spend too much if you cant use it!

I think it's a little bit funny that they threw "racing" into the description. I've known some young ladies who could outrun 1-spd Stingrays on roller skates. :lol:

I tell you, for the price, they are pretty cool bikes, I originally bought 3, 2 black ones and a blue, 1 went to my 15 year old son, 1 actually got sold a year and a half ago for $150..I still have the blue one and have added a 20" front rim / tire and some wald repro ramshorns on it..really should sell it..but it rides sweet..the only drawback is how thin the chrome was on these, the lightest mist and they rust...but $4o for that one isn't bad, considering a "aftermarket" frame will run you that or more...

Not too far off..all of mine spent most their life in my living room in my apartment (single days..) then when bikingangel and i "merged" they went outside..it didn't take long !!
Rat Rod said:
That's what it looks like after spending one night outdoors. :lol:

I got one of those purple "Bratz" bikes out of a dumpster about 5 years ago. My daughter couldn't ride it cause of the apes and the springer so the wheels and fenders went on this other bike I'm building and the frame got chopped up to make this ...thing that I haven't finished yet. If it were an original krate or something like that I never would have had the opportunity for creativity that i've had.
I'd say there's at least $40 worth of fun to be had there.

Latest posts

Back