the economy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you guys are self-employed? I am an this economy is killing me 22 years in trucking an it seems I may be at the end of my career although that's not exactly what business is I depend on my semi to make my living. The last 7 years I have sold hay in the metro Atlanta area for construction but with the recent fuel cost a lot of the companies I deal with have fallen on hard times that have trickled down to me my company. That has forced me to look into hauling for the public an that's not going to workout to well being as the fuel cost haven't come down much an the rates haven't went up any since I stopped in 2005. I was just wondering if other businesses was suffering also?

I'm self employed and loving every minute of it. Some weeks I make more than I ever did working! You'd be surprised at how much money can be made just buying random stuff and flipping it for fast cash. 60% of my income is just keeping my eyes open for anything I can make money on and having cash on me to steal the deal. Every week I check the Kokomo Rescue Mission thrift store, Salvation Army thrift store, Goodwill, 2 flea markets, every yard sale I can find, one scrapyard daily, another scrapyard weekly (All the way across town and they hold stuff for me.), I ride up and down alleys everywhere I go, and I check in with local junkers every time I get a chance to see what they are picking up. I also have three junkers that bring me any bikes they find. As I say you can work for your money or let it work for you.

Few examples of good deals I have made:

1. Small block 350 Chevy engine (that ran) $75 from scrapyard and I had to spend an hour pulling it. Rebuild kit from Summit Racing $240, engine paint, degreaser, and header paint from AutoZone $25, Chrome valve covers and air cleaner Summit racing $60, Carb from scrapyard $2, Rebuild kit for carb $25
Total invested $427
Sold for $1,000
$573 profit for a few weekends worth of work

2. Bought a car that ran and drove but was filthy dirty for $500. Spent $5 on cleaners, ran a buffer over the paint, and spent an hour detailing it out. Sold for $1,000. Nearly $500 profit for an hours worth of work.

3. 10 random Walmart bikes from scrapyard for $6 each sold for $50 each. $440 profit for dragging them home, airing the tires, few adjustments and listing them.

4. Non-running 49cc scooter $75, cleaned the carb and adjusted the valves got it running great and sold for $400. $325 profit. Half hour's worth of work.

5. Redline BMX bike paid $20 sold for $300 shipped, shipping was around $40, $240 profit 10 minutes to throw it in a box.

6. 1950's cruiser bicycle at yard sale for $5 sold for $100. $95 profit nothing but dragging it home and listing it.

7. Schwinn road bike from flea market $20, new tires $30, Sold on Craigslist for $125. $75 profit 15 minutes worth of work.

8. Body for golf cart found in trash FREE! Sold on Craigslist for $75 ALL profit just drag it home and list it.

I've never even considered any of that but here lately turcking has just fell off so bad I feel it's time for a change I've been cosidering hualing ebay items an craigslist stuff but you run into people wanting something for free so maybe picking isn't a bad idea. Do you have a store or sell online an by word of mouth?

big kountry said:
I've never even considered any of that but here lately turcking has just fell off so bad I feel it's time for a change I've been cosidering hualing ebay items an craigslist stuff but you run into people wanting something for free so maybe picking isn't a bad idea. Do you have a store or sell online an by word of mouth?

I sell stuff on here occasionally, Mostly Craigslist and word of mouth. I have dealt in bicycles since I was 7 years old so pretty much everyone in town knows me as "The bicycle guy on the outskirts of town" Then I started messing with cars and I was known as "The guy who sells cars on the outskirts of town" then mopeds, motorcycles, ATV's, go carts, golf carts, dirt bikes, and anything else with wheels. Eventually bringing about my name "Outskirts Customs"

I guess I'm an American Picker, Barter King, and Grease Monkey all rolled into one. :mrgreen:

Thats awesome me everything I buy always seems to be worth less than I paid I've never been lucky or good like that but as I was sittin here trying to figure out what the next chapter is going to be a gentleman in the next town over heard about me at the truckstop up from my house an rode over to talk to me well long story short we have a meeting in the morning to discuss me pulling some freight for his company apparently I have a reputation around here as the get it done guy

Plenty of jobs in the oilfield in the Gulf Coast. Start at $50K with benefits and you work 1/2 the year (2 weeks on 2 weeks off). Able to make more, too, if you have a college degree.

Na I'm good the oilfields an school ain't for me I've been working for myself for to long now to change up I've been pretty successful at it since I was 16 never really was much on school this year has just put a kink in things so to speak but thanks for the idea seems as though I acually have a good rep around these parts as dependable an fast so I'll stick to what I'm good at

Must be all them extra gears. Makes you faster. :mrgreen: Just if you see a black dog don't swerve.
paysage-0.jpg

If you don't get it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVt2EQbP8bI
I love the part: "What was that?"..... "A Mazda" :mrgreen:

Currently self-employed. Not making any money to speak of at the moment but... Spent the last 5 years behind the wheels of various Peterbilts, now behind the wheels of a John Deere, Massey Ferguson or Kubota. 54 acre pecan farm that I'm getting back in shape since my 86 year old father in law can't do it on his own anymore.

Small produce garden, small stand in front yard. Every bit helps.

Getting my side motorcycle shop back up again too. Been doing that off and on for 25 years.

I've got an 85% disability rating, can't get in the big rigs anymore for any distance. I'd refile for benefits but hate sitting around.

I do farm some made out pretty good on watermelons this year but my main income is construction hay an its fallen off pretty bad now I've got to replace my semi so the plan is to drop the farming for now mainly because I don't want to put a deep well in for irrigation an haul freight again till I build up some capital or retire witch ever comes first

I live about 40 miles NW of Charlotte NC, and the economy has stayed firmly in the crapper since we moved here four years ago, just in time for the meltdown. I'm a lead carpenter specializing in kitchens & baths, and set a lot of tile too. I worked for a local handyman co. until it went out of business, then lived off a small inheritance for a year and a half, with only the occasional "side" job. In March '12, after emptying my bank accounts, and selling the family car, I found work with another handyman co., this one infamous for it's mismanaging of jobs, and angry customers. They classify us employees as subcontractors, so they don't have to pay workman's comp., overtime, or benefits. And I'm working for my absolute minimum hourly rate, incedentally what I made 7 years ago, and was mad about it then! I just finished one of their kitchen jobs, which was started in MARCH, and promised done by April 15th. The homeowner and I were commiserating on how it's impossible for them to find decent workers/companies, and impossible for us decent workers to find the work! :x I've often thought of buying and selling stuff like OSC does, but it's tough to find good deals here as well as buyers with actual money! Hoping for better days soon! -Adam

Back