The E-Racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few years ago, i found a set of 700c wheels at an electronics shop... at an electronics shop?! yes, a electronics shop. But hold on a second lobsterboyx, dont you already have an ILLMATIC roadbike with 700c'z?

498c3f61.jpg

Holla at your boy.

so back to the topic at hand - ELECTRONICS SHOP? thats because they are an electric motor wheelset.
IMG_0763.jpg

the front wheel has a shimano hub generator and the rear has this weird electric motor thing.

so yesterday, my gal and i found this cool 50s/60s hercules road bike at a garage sale for all of 40 bucks. - it was complete!
d6322875.jpg

1bb979d4.jpg

so the plan - make an electric turn of the century looking road bike out of this cool hercules! (read- black, white tires, woodesque wheels leather seat and bags to hide the electrics and home made adjustable racing handlebars.

woop woop - hear this - todays ordeal sounds mundane but when you realize how far i had to travel to get the tools necessary to complete this task... wellsir, it most certainly is not! so what, praytell, did i do today? removed the cassette and replaced it for a single speed. 3 shops, 2 shops broke their tools trying to get it off, but finally the last and most competent shop managed to break the cassette free - but that wasnt the end - the sidecover of the motor was still attached!!! some creative vicemanship - and it was loose.

weeeee!

its not that powerful - Ive had the hub power LED lights, thats about it - i suppose you could have it trickle charge the batterys to get a few more miles out of them :mrgreen:

Wow....yeah that would be the first true perpetual motion machine...LOL
On my old R/C cars,braking turned the motor into a generator to feed the battery.Hybrids do it too.
So every downhill you can charge some,if the drag isn't too much...

Back