the Devils Golden Fiddle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
059.jpg

060.jpg

i guess its a mohawk frame (found that out recently thanks to this site) and i have no idea where the fork came from.

when i got the forks they were nasty. old paint, grease, rust and all. the threads on the steering tube were gone, so i welded a new on one. but it ended up being 1/2 in to short cuz i guess i cant measure. after i got that fixed i couldnt get a stem down the tube. had to figure out another way to mount bars. so i did this...
061.jpg

062.jpg

and thats pretty much mocked up. paint is next.

dig the inverted handlebar mounting. i did that a long time ago and really liked how it rode. good luck i see some neat stuff in your garage too that looks like maybe a packard? or maybe a savoy?

Like the bike overall, love the fork!

Question, did you just drill through the handlebars and bolt it to the truss assembly on the fork? Is it solid like that? just askin'..... :roll:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Love the bike stand ( sprocket stuck between workbecnh boards ), might work well here :)

looking good .. one thing I like - subtle but noticed - is the fact you only have two clamps on the bottom of the numberboard, none on top to clutter up the lines...

So many nice bikes in the build already, makes me feel all inferior, :?

~ AL

i have the frame, forks, bars and cranks all painted, nothing to exciting, but i figured i'd show off my grips ( which im still "iffy" on)
001.jpg

got the bars all smoothed out and painted. regular grips wont fit so i went serching for something else.
002.jpg

came up with some brown lace out of my wifes crafts box.
003.jpg

wrapped it tightly around the bars til it was thick enough and used some self tapping screws to keep it wound.

NICE bike! Love the front end....I know your going to paint it. But the frame and number plate already look like a finished project. VERY cool!

i fixed my grips over lunch today. got rid of the ugly self tapping screws and sewed them together with thread and a needle. have no idea why i didnt think of that first.
laced my number plate tonight also, but instead of just showing a before and after picture i figured i'd do a step by step. i used automotive paint, but im sure rattle can would work.

first i sanded down, primed, and painted the plate with black base. you want to make sure the base coat is 100% dry before the next step.
004.jpg

once its dry spray a medium-dry coat of clear (no hardner). let it tack up for a second or two. then lay your lace over the panel and lightly pat down. the clear will keep the fabric in place when spraying the second color.
005.jpg

fog on your second color, dont spray it to heavy
007.jpg

pull the lace off.
006.jpg

clear, wet sand and buff to a nice shine. then go riding around the neighborhood and impress all the ladies.
008.jpg

I forgot about that painting technique...That is "old school". I used to do the indents on the front of VW Bugs with that method....Thanks for the memories. :D Oh yeah! Yours came put PERFECT.

heres the most recent pictures of my build. theres nothing to radical or crazy about any of it really, but i like the simple look to it. but after seeing all the other entries, im gonna have to step it up a notch next year. by the way, its refreshing to see that everyone on this forum is chill and here for the love of bikes, not to be a jerk or the alpha male like a lot of the other forums im a member of. anyways, back to the build...
0042.jpg

0022.jpg

thats the overall look to it, other than maybe some pinstriping and lettering, a light or two, and i still have to figure something out to clean up the top of the head tube.
by request heres my 57 dodge
S4022701.jpg

Back