The Devil May Ride...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody... First build newbie here!!! So, I've been restoring bicycles for a while, but I've always wanted to customize one strictly for myself.
I came across a 48' CWC Frame that I really love and had no use for, so it's becoming my custom bike. I already have a Higgins beehive springer on the way and a set of 26 in rims of a 41' girls Huffman and I bought a guard form JPromo in his recent for sale post(it's the green metallic one) I've already been using Easy-Off oven cleaner to strip the bike and it's components to bare metal. The guard is proving to be more difficult than the rest. (might just have to sand blast that) I've already broken the bike down. As she sits it's only the frame. The chain ring, chain, stem, bars and cups have all been through on oxallic acid dip and look great again. Just got done degreasing the bearings and rebuilding the hubs. So here's the ol' girl like I got her...

cwc.jpg

cwc_badge.jpg

So my plans are to repaint the frame, add the Higgins beehive springer, add a wooden tank with a water transfered design my lady came up with to the tank, and use a road bike stem with a 3" hang to it. Also, I've got some donor pedals from another bike (see the photos) I'll post my ladies design in a few days(it's a devil riding a bike with a pitch fork and cape) she made it for me last christmas on a hanky that I carry with me everywhere. Kind of fell in love with the design which is what inspired this build!! I'm considering building the tank into two pieces and hollowing out one side of it so that I can install a battery tray and then wire it up to a car/tractor/bicycle head light and then mount that on the frame or the fork... still deciding about that. I don't want to cover up the beehive springer in any way. Dependent upon the condition of the chrome on the springer I might paint all the chrome parts a copper color. Have to wait and see about that. I'm also adding some red torpedo grips (elgin style) and a dogleg crank!

I took the metal shelf off of a spaceliner rack and left the frame intact. I'm going to add another piece of distressed wood in place of the metal shelf and then water transfer her design to that as well. However, I have a few questions for all of you...

#1- I did a mock up in Photoshop (photography degree finally comes in handy) of the finished product with red tires and cream tires... need some opinions on that?

#2- Do I simply do a 24 x 3 rear F.A. tires and a 26 x 2.125 black wall tire or do both 24 x 3?

#3-Do I chop a wald rear fender and make it a shorty and add it to the bike? (painted of course)

I know most of this has been done in builds in the past, but this is my first attempt, so go easy on me!!!

OH YEAH, did I mention that I'm trying to get all this done by the Nov. 25th deadline for the photo contest!!!

Should be fun and thanks for weighing in,
judd

here are the pedals I'm using:
wards_pedals-1.jpg

The mock ups with tire color choices, new paint scheme and wooden tank:
cwc_build_cream.jpg

cwc_build.jpg

AND one more question for all of you:

Should I use a long spring saddle with Lucky7 seat post or a Brooks saddle with Lucky7 or... should I by a repro Hairpin saddle and use that with a lucky7???

I would take the red tires off... seat depends ... you gonna ride it..put somethin your like ... and feels good..
and really its a matter of personal taste ... leave the red tires if you like... do not go gentle into that good night

Hi! Great frame to start with - my favorite style Cleveland Welding frame. Also a very unique Head Badge on a CWC bike - that's a keeper. And before I forget I want the sprocket off the bike you got your pedals from. There is an alternative for the seat post - Chad (slowriderz) makes custom seat posts in all sizes and configurations. I bought one of his first 5/8" post (fits most CWCs) that had a 45 degree angle to get my saddle back father for legroom. Then I had him make three with a 65 degree bend and that made it almost level which is what I was going for. If you are trying to face the bent post forward a Lucky 7 is great but if you are trying to face it rearward they don't work so well. The 90 degree version works the best of the two but on both the Lucky 7s it's hard to get the seat to sit at the angle you want without the post hitting the saddle frame. If it's a boardtracker Lucky 7s work OK - I'm just letting you know there are options. I'll include two pics of my current build - a '47 CWC that I'm going to motorize - one with the 45 degree post and one with the 65 degree just so you can see the difference. Have Fun! Robert

W/ 45 Degree Bend
002.jpg

W/ 65 Degree Bend
002-1.jpg

Back