THE CLUBSMAN: My First Build (used to be the Mr. Belvedere)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys -

OK, I've been on these forums for a few months now doing a lot of research and learning a bunch from you all, so now it is time for me to start my first build ever (cross fingers and wish me luck). Really feel free to give me ANY feedback whatsoever, and if I am thinking about doing something you know just won't work please fill me in... there is so much I still need to learn about bikes in general but I can't sit around waiting forever to learn it, gotta just jump in. So here goes....

Mr_Belvedere.jpg

THE MR. BELVEDERE BIKE
LOL, yes... maybe you recognize the old show, it's just a fun title that reminds me of what I am going to be building; an american bike with a brittish style.

OK, I know its not an actual CRUISER, and if I posted my build in the wrong forum please feel free to move it over to the right one. But, that being said, this will be my local cruising bike with a rat heart to it.

THE STARTER BIKE
2615976443_e8a6d99b93.jpg

I just picked up this 1972 Schwinn Varsity for a few bucks off of Craigslist. I can't believe how excited I was to pick up my first bike to fix and mess around with. It's actually a really nice bike though the rims look as if they are pitting. Everything original, but some major major gunk on it to clean off... that's all good for me to learn.

THE INSPIRATION
2616066911_3697c11466.jpg

Pashley Guv'nor and vintage Path Racer style bicycles

I just love the look and feel of that bike! But its way way too expensive to buy on its own (overpriced I would say) and what fun is just buying a pre-made bike?!

MORE VARSITY PICKS
Check more out on my Flickr account - http://flickr.com/photos/thezamn/sets/72157605851921081/

2616803518_00917ee956.jpg

Stem Shifter (will go because I want a North Road Drop style handlebar with shifters there).

2615978635_2058f0033d.jpg

Bahh! Rims are pitted (am I using the right word). Thinking this means that if I paint them or clean them up they will continue to deteriorate? They are S-6 Tubular Rims. If I change out the rims I would want (if the bike allows it) to maybe get a little larger and thicker of a wheel.

2616805990_f64341b238.jpg

Date the bike to May of 1972.

2615976811_9b348efff2.jpg

First thing I did was take off all the reflectors and tried taking off the back rack but a screw is stripped, so its on until I can get something to pull it out with.

QUESTIONS AND IDEAS

OK, so I am going to strip off all of the cables and start from scratch with the frame just to teach me how to do all of this. I am thinking about putting a 3 speed internal sturmey archer hub with a drum brake on it for that sleek look (and maybe a drum brake on the front if its not overkill?). I'm also thinking stick with the rim size or go up to a larger diameter (is 700c larger?) with a thicker tire on it. I have a few questions though if you guys can or want to help?

1) You can only fit ONE size tire on the S-6 rim, correct? If not, can I go thicker just by a little? If the S-6's can't do that then, with the caliper brakes off (due to the drum brake) do I have more room to go larger on a tire there? Also am I missing anything about hub size with Schwinn that will cause me a problem? I know that the spacing is 125mm (or maybe 126mm) but it looks like the 3 speed internals will fit that fine.

2) Any ODD things I need to watch out for when buying parts or changing out things on a Schwinn?

3) Is it overkill to put a drum brake hub on both the front and back wheel? It costs more to do but I thought it would clean up the look and feel of the bike. And the hubs are going to be a gift from the girlfriend who wants to get me something nice so we can ride together (aka ride with her back and forth to work).

Thanks guys, and I hope to have some new pics up soon with changes! Again feel free to tell me what you guys think.

Re: Mr. Belvedere: My First Build

i like the path racer style.

and i think the drum brakes both front and back are a great idea.

( ive been trying to land a front drum for my bike - eventually i will)

great start , great idea , you'll enjoy it. but im betting like most of us this wilkl not be your only bike.

Thanks New_Dharma for the specs on the S-6 bead seating!

So I think I will drop the S-6 rims and get some cheap larger ones for this build. I don't think they really have to be anything fancy because there will be no brake running on them (which also allows me to paint them with no issue) :). Now I am just trying to figure out how I can check to see if a larger tire and rim will fit in the alloted space with the varsity fork and rear stay. Should I take the mm size of the rim I want (for example the 700c) and half it (so 622mm divided by 2 = 311mm) and see if that clears the back area? I guess you would have to figure in tire clearance as well (and width). Hmm... Anyone have experience with putting larger tires/rims on a Varsity?

Nice choice to copy. I love your inspiration.
you're not going to find the tires you want in a 700c.

You should be looking for a 26" wheel. You'll probably need to make some slight frame adjustments to make it wide enough.

you should try a 650B conversion.
these tires are 26 x 1 1/2 and have bead seat diameter of 584mm...
the tire will be wider than what is on there now...it's just finding the rims and tires...this size started making a comeback in the US (thanks Grant!) and many people say it's the new 29"!

new_dharma said:
the tire will be wider than what is on there now...it's just finding the rims and tires...this size started making a comeback in the US (thanks Grant!) and many people say it's the new 29"!

Thanks for the info New_Dharma! Actually, after hours of researching tire and rim sizes, I have decided to upgrade to 700c (622mm) rims. This is doable on my Varsity (or at least I think it is from my research, if anyone knows different tell me) because of the fact I will be running drum brakes. This also means that the rims can be painted up nicely and won't receive as much wear without a brake pad grinding it.

The nice thing about this is that I can run 700 x 35c (37-622 mm or 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 3/8) Schwalbe Cream Delta Cruiser tires which will add a nice "pop" to the bike, or even get the larger 700 x 40c (42-622mm or 28 x 1.60) Electra Amsterdam tires in white as well.

Also noticed, and don't know if many of you have run into this, that my S-6 tubular rims are NOT 26 x 1 3/8 (597 mm) like it shows on the Sheldon Brown site. :shock: My stamped S-6 rims are actually 630mm (so 27" x anything according to Sheldon). Phew, I FINALLY think I have this tire/rim thing figured out! Schwalbe has a good breakdown here - http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/size_markings

ZAMN said:
new_dharma said:

Thanks for the info New_Dharma! Actually, after hours of researching tire and rim sizes, I have decided to upgrade to 700c (622mm) rims. This is doable on my Varsity (or at least I think it is from my research, if anyone knows different tell me) because of the fact I will be running drum brakes. This also means that the rims can be painted up nicely and won't receive as much wear without a brake pad grinding it.

The nice thing about this is that I can run 700 x 35c (37-622 mm or 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 3/8) Schwalbe Cream Delta Cruiser tires which will add a nice "pop" to the bike, or even get the larger 700 x 40c (42-622mm or 28 x 1.60) Electra Amsterdam tires in white as well.

Also noticed, and don't know if many of you have run into this, that my S-6 tubular rims are NOT 26 x 1 3/8 (597 mm) like it shows on the Sheldon Brown site. :shock: My stamped S-6 rims are actually 630mm (so 27" x anything according to Sheldon). Phew, I FINALLY think I have this tire/rim thing figured out! Schwalbe has a good breakdown here - http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/size_markings
see...you didn't say they were 27"...and the 700c will work fine!
the nice thing about using the shorter rim & drum brakes is no need to worry about caliper reach

PICTURES TOMORROW I PROMISE.

Finally getting a chance to work on my bike!!!! School is out for another week and I've got the frame just about stripped, plus most of the parts sitting in my closet waiting for me. Still need rims, spokes, and nipples but I'll grab those soon. Also might invest in a butchered B-17 saddle or a velo orange made one to throw on this bad boy for a real classic club racer look.

Anyways, just wanted to *bump* this guy up. Pics with the parts tomorrow!

OK, Here are some of the components I have and the progress I have made on the bike (full set is available at my Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/thezamn/sets/72157605851921081/):

2805360400_7b6c474de1.jpg

Stripping the bike of its old paint... just a little while longer till this is done + the fork (that is also my cheap and new bike repair stand I made).

2805360282_2114106803.jpg

The list of components in this shot are as follows:
- Retro Bullet Light (still need to find a fun taillight)
- Shimano Brake Levers (will either paint or find off white brake cables)
- Shellacked Cork Grips
- American to European Bottom Bracket Converter
- MKS Sylvan Stream Pedals
- Campagnolo Veloce 9s crank (will be getting single chainring bolts and using the larger ring)
- Classic Sturmey Archer 3 sp shifter (need new cable for this because my hubs came with the grip shift, hopefully will find off white or will paint them as well)
- XRD3 3 speed Drum Brake Sturmey Archer Rear Hub and XFD Drum Brake Sturmey Archer Front Hub

2805360096_3e72e9e241.jpg

List of components for this shot are:
- Schwalbe Delta Cruiser 700c tires
- Stock Schwinn Varsity stem
- Dropped North Road Handlebar

Thinking of ordering one of these Velo Orange saddles or tempted to butcher an old Brooks B-17:
yhst-84224226242177_2016_18367386

Still Need to grab:
-Rims (trying to find something with a nice profile to show off faux woodgrain, either painted or vinyl)
- Spokes and nipples
- Maybe a nice quick release so I can take the seat off
- Would like to find the right size and good looking Hub Wingnuts to finish off the little details
- Creative Headbadge... still coming up with ideas.

Also have the paint in hand as well... The base coat is a Rustoleum Espresso Brown in Satin. The top coat (if I do this right) is going to be a light Metallic Aged Copper to give it a little luster and metal flake look. Then the details are going to be done in an Almond off white Color.

Oh, and caught my bike bunny at it again... I swear when we rescued him they told me bunnies hate the smell of anything greasy, etc but he absolutely loves it and chin rubs everything when I get it (thats how bunnies mark their property):

2804510017_d56eb08a1c.jpg

Any thoughts or ideas are more then welcome!

this will be a great build. i'll be watching as after the seattle show i wll be tearing my Superbe down and redoing it for a better road bike feel.

Outlaw 8)

Latest posts

Back