The Bidwell Bomber-Name explained, I'd rather be clunking!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up this bike a couple of weeks ago its a 1954 Schwinn Flying Star its all there the only thing it needed was a new rear tube and a good cleaning.

But the reason I wanted this bike was for a project ive been wanting to do for a very long time, a vintage clunker. I have already built a clunker inspired bike off an old straight bar frame but Ive wanted to do build am era correct clunker so here is my jumping off point

Re: The Bidwell Bomber

so begins the teardown process

as I was removing all the old parts from the bike I kinda felt bad because of how good a shape most of the original parts were in but as the build progressed I couldn't wait to see it done

I am keeping all the original parts I liked the 2 speed but it was mounted on s7 hoops I didn't feel like tearing apart that wheel when I had the s2s
I will explain the name after I'm done for those who aren't from the area
and thanx for the support guys!

time to put it all together

Shes a roller!

need a longer seat post so I stole this one from my moms fairlady but don't wrry I replaced hers with a shorter one :lol:

and I present to you the Bidwell Bomber!

so the bike temporarily finished but I do want to change the handle bars and the seat maybe add some front brakes but I really like the way she turned out now as soon as I get a chance to take her to the Bidwell Park and snap some pics I will finish explaining the name 8)

So I finally got a chance to take the bike to the park the other day with the roommate and snap some pics of her in action, so as promised I shall explain the meaning and significance of the name. Bidwell park is the crown jewel of the city of Chico, according to BidwellPark.org, it was first deeded to the city in 1905 by Annie Bidwell wife of Gen. John Bidwell, founder of the city. The park has since been expanded to almost 3,700 acre making it one of the largest municipal park in the nation. It was really the deciding factor of my choosing to come to Chico State. So I decided to name the bike after the park and seeing as it is built up as a bomber, the name makes perfect sense. But the bike is also dedicated to a few other things; first of all to the two bikes that were stolen from me here. The first legitimate mountain bike I owned a cannondale hardtail that my brother and I built up and my prewar hawthorne that was my first balloon tire bike which I built before I even knew what "prewar" even meant. Secondly to the university that recently celebrated its 125th anniversary (a special edition bike was built for the school but I think mine is better :lol: ) the school is such an awesome place full of history and awesome people and is a lot mire than just a "party" school. Lastly the bike is dedicated to the people and city of Chico which I have called home for the past couple of years, the places ive seen, the people I have met have been absolutely amazing so Chico this is for you!
I present to you the Bidwell Bomber

special thanx to Dan Reidell for the photos
thanx everyone!

Amazing rig man! Nice to see some local Chico landmarks in those pics also! :D

Nice! What are those pedals? I'm looking for some new pedals for my KHS and want a good griping cage pedal like those. Do you know if they come in 9/16?

thank guys

outskirtscustoms said:
Nice! What are those pedals? I'm looking for some new pedals for my KHS and want a good griping cage pedal like those. Do you know if they come in 9/16?

the pedals are VP pedals model 474 they do make em in 9/16" and in all chrome as well I got them from F &R cycle but they only sell wholesale but they shouldn't be too hard to find

Back