the best xmas gift ever.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so here is the story i was at work one day and a guy comes in said the someone working outside told him i was into bicycles
and he proceeded to tell me how he picked up this mint red 1969 Schwinn cantilever framed bicycle all original and he wanted to sell it..... since these bikes are so hard to find i said yes i would love to take it off his hands, i took his phone # and told him i would call him when i had the money, the wife told my i would have to get rid of at least to of my bikes and i thought that was fare, besides i was almost finished one bike to sell and if i got this new one i could replace it as my daily rider.....so a week past called the guy up and told him i would have the money for him Friday. so Friday showed up and i had the cash went to grab the # out of my wallet and................ the # was gone :S i looked for over a week for this guy's # and haven't found it and all he gave me was his first name so i have no way of finding this guy....

well it has been 7 months since i talked to this gentlemen and never thought i would speak to him again and as i was working today a guy asked me if my name was Adam and i told him ya and it was the same gentleman who was going to sell the schwinn he asked me when i was done work i told him he said i would be back in a while and i didn't think ne thing of it other then he might wanna show me something cool.... so and hour and a half go by and as i was working outside and van pulled up and the guy got out and opened the back up.... there was the bike i wanted to buy... he pulled it out and aksed me what i thought of it??? it told him i thought it was amazing!! he handed it to me and said merry Christmas i was shocked that someone i really didn't even know would be nice enough to give me something i was willing to shell out cash for........ it goes to show you the spirit of giving is out there and pple still believe in good will towards men/women ... i will remember this wor the rest of my life....

i will post pics as soon as i can...

that is awsome never had that happen to me. lets see some pics

if i ever have the chance to do do that for someone else i will just to see the happiness he must have seen in my eye..... and i will have pics as soon as the daylight will allow

Oh man, that's an awesome Christmas story! Getting a vintage bike totally blows away Ralphie getting a Red Ryder BB gun and worrying about shooting his eye out! :wink:

Picture125.jpg

sorry about the pic in the kitchen couldn't get a good shot on my porch thought i would throw in red ryder as well...

From the seat tube decal I'm thinking it might be a Schwinn American.

Looks like the forks may be tweaked a little...any good bike shop can straighten them for around $20.

Looks awesome!

I think its a Tiger, early varsity's, Tigers and early Americans (obviously this isnt a varsity) , i think the Americans usually had the ealry script top tube lettering if they had the checkered seat post tube, otherwise theyd have the "made in the USA" seat post decal. I could be wrong though.

Tiger
red_tiger.jpg

American
2906575863_9f3745f67b.jpg

either way cool bike, way cool guy !!! fork is an easy fix if needs be

Hmmm...odd shape of chainstays tells me it's probably not a Tiger...and chrome fenders (if original) would nix the Tiger and American?

I believe 63 and later Tigers did come w/chrome fenders, if not it was 64. I think the ad Rat Rod posted is from the 62 flyer, because the 61 Skipper had the twin straight bar frame, and the only 62 to have it was the Typhoon, new for 62, and the only year it had that frame. Early 60s Americans had a white background seat post decal w/a stars and stripes shield, w/red, white, & blue stripes above & below the sheild. It says 'Made in USA, and below Arnold-Schwinn & Co, Chicago'. I have my decal box right here for ref's.! ~Adam

That 61 skipper also has the wrong chainguard paint, it should have more white trim and the frame also is missing the white paint on the headtube area, and as mentioned above, shouldn't be cantilever.

Latest posts

Back