The $4 Rat Rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning while doing my usual craigslist searches I came across this:

Screenshot2011-12-03at90915PM.png

needless to say I replied with my phone number and 2 hours I picked it up. I had a twenty and 4 singles and the guy said he would take 4! :D SCORE!

It is an AMF roadmaster bike with a slew of parts that look mostly original except for the schwinn approved front hub. There is a bendix red stripe hub in the rear. The rims actually aren't too rotten and I love their patina. The cheng shin (?) or something like that tires are definitely not original but have barley any miles on them and they look good so they are staying. I completely took apart the rear hub, cleaned out the old grease and playa dust from burning man, re-greased with phil wood grease and re-assembled. That is the first time I have ever opened a coaster brake hub and they are wonderfully simple! The frame is sun baked but with some good wax and a rub down it should look swell. This bike aged very well and I think it looked almost better in its "broken in" state. The "not original but came with bike" seat had good bones but the vinyl cover had deteriorated. Luckily I had an extra but in a rather horrid brick color. A new seat will come eventually. The poor steerer tube had filled with water at some point and nearly completely rusted the stem bolt through. I replaced it and also repacked the headset with a liberal amount of phil wood grease. The bars are very nice and comfortable, they are kind of more like a three speeds bars but they are much cooler that a three speeds bars, if you know what I mean... :) . Can anybody give me an era for this bike? (I completely forgot serial numbers while taking pictures sorry) And if it was worth $4? Also was there a specific model associated with this frame and what was it? Is the front hub original? Thanks everybody.

This is the first real vintage bike I have ever had. (other than 20") I dont know how preferable it is but here are some pictures.
Im super psyched!

5b6b6b1c.jpg

c00f349f.jpg

25fc5b7c.jpg

b86ff5b1.jpg

ba200cd1.jpg

7ed110ba.jpg

c4347ec9.jpg

9e8c5d73.jpg

1edd2ffa.jpg

d4d1624d.jpg

9ba1c2ea.jpg

http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... 775a02.jpg

1c29ca37.jpg

0dad0078.jpg

cacce5ae.jpg

385f5fda.jpg

fd1b1443.jpg

ebac3708.jpg

I just realized that my pictures are much too big. Sorry :oops:

The chain ring with the stars is probably worth $20...maybe more. The peaked fenders are really nice too. Good catch for $4. Gary

Man I've payed more for bikes from the scrapyard. Normally when I buy bikes I figure if it has one good inner tube it's worth $5.

Wow, great find! :D It's even got a fancy star sprocket! :mrgreen:

outskirtscustoms said:
Man I've payed more for bikes from the scrapyard. Normally when I buy bikes I figure if it has one good inner tube it's worth $5.

Haha good rule... I blew out the front tube while riding this morning and had to sprint the 5 blocks home on a quickly deflating tube :lol:

ETHANSFBIKES said:
outskirtscustoms said:

Haha good rule... I blew out the front tube while riding this morning and had to sprint the 5 blocks home on a quickly deflating tube :lol:

Yep I can't begin to tell you how many bikes I have bought for $5 just to take home, yank the tires, tubes, rim strips, chain, bearings, misc. bolts, grips, and anything useful off, then scrap it to get $4 of my money back. Saves a lot of money on parts and helps big time in all the bolts.

those bars look great on a board tracker style bike if you flip them over.

You stole that thing, you better keep running............... :D

Back