That tire

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You ever had a tire that punctured every tube you put in it?
Not riding it, just sitting there and start leaking down.
How about one that makes 2 holes???
And believe me I checked for thorns, glass, staples, nails, sharps, knives, emu, and cat claws.
I am not getting a clear puncture, or I should say a good hole(s), just 2 slight slow leakers.
All 3 tubes have it in the same spot!
It's on the tread side.
I have changed 100s of tires/tubes in my life, never got beat by one yet! yet.
Any ideas???????

Run a cotton ball along the inside of the tire if it snaggs on something then you know what's hitting the tube. Also check the rim.

26 X 2.125 whitewalls are like, what, 14 dollars? Tubes are like, 5 dollars? Time to buy a NEW tire...just saying
This is all info I gather from my own purchasing habits at my local bike shop.I HAVE had te same problem. So I buy a new tire and tube. 19 dollars, and the bike still has a aired up tire a month later. Novel idea. Just sayin

outskirtscustoms said:
Run a cotton ball along the inside of the tire if it snaggs on something then you know what's hitting the tube...

SANDYCLAUSE said:
(Turn the tire inside out then run a rag around and see if you snag anything.

You guys are smarter than me, I have been using my fingers! :shock:

dougfisk said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Run a cotton ball along the inside of the tire if it snaggs on something then you know what's hitting the tube...

SANDYCLAUSE said:
(Turn the tire inside out then run a rag around and see if you snag anything.

You guys are smarter than me, I have been using my fingers! :shock:
Me 2!!! I have a 1/4" thick hide on my hands from machining/mechanic work and just used the meat grabbers to look for a thorn, tack, ectra, thanks for the input!!!

This isn't a cruiser, whitewall, or anything fancy at all. Just a bike I got off craigslist to flip, the kid cutt half the spokes out cause he wanted a bmx! So I got a Frontier for 15$ plus spokes and a relace.(and 3 patched innertubes!)
I have checked my spokes, they are not protruding. I checked the rim weld, not broken, and I did try to flex it.
I will be trying the cotton ball trick on both!

Just an update......I checked the tire with an eagle eye and found nothing!!!
Put an old tube in it and it's holding...
Sometimes I hate bicycles.

I have to say when I had my bike shop I kept a mason jar on the counter with all the weird stuff I found in tires changing flats. Yes there was a cat claw in there! There was not 1 but 2 of the great big huge alum nails they use to hold rain gutters on! All kinds of staples, nails, wire, glass, thorns, and pieces of steel in there as well.

mikeeebikey said:
I have to say when I had my bike shop I kept a mason jar on the counter with all the weird stuff I found in tires changing flats. Yes there was a cat claw in there! There was not 1 but 2 of the great big huge alum nails they use to hold rain gutters on! All kinds of staples, nails, wire, glass, thorns, and pieces of steel in there as well.

I was in a tire shop garage and over the door to the showroom (on the dirty shop side) they had a large piece of styrofoam with all the things they had pulled out of flat car tires, lots of screws and nails, other assorted debris, screwdrivers, knives, wrenches, etc... was amazing what people didn't miss.

A friend of ours got a flat last year, her husband pulled a 3/8" ratchet extension out of her tire, we've all got ratchet extensions, there's not a "sharp" part on them!

After checking the tire with a fine tooth comb, a cotton ball, a soft rag, I ran a wire brush over the inside and outside, found nothing!
A thought occured to me, the tubes I have are old stock and came out of a case I'd bought years ago, were they good? So I opened the last one, aired it up and went to dinner. Came home and it was flat flat flat!
I've seen all manner, or so I thought, of bad innertubes, bad valve cores, bad seams, and thin tubes. Never have i seen tubes with a near snake bite set of holes, never more than one bad in a case...... Appearences are I left behind some disatisfied customers and self burned.

Tools, man working on cars I have found all manner of tools in the damdest places!
13/16th socket inside a tire on a Ford F-350, wasn't the vibration that bothered the customer, it was the whirring sound when he stopped sometimes!
Complete set of 3/8ths snap on standard short sockets inside a fresh built 350 chevy motor, that cost my machine shop 5 free assembled motors!
1/4" drive ratchet left between the intakes during an intake swap, yes it wore thru the plastic intake, yes the slow vacuum leak caused the motor to run lean and burn up.
Vice grips; I have found vice grips everywhere! My woman had a VW Passat, found vice grips holding the alternator on, evidently they were cheaper than a VW bolt and nut!
Toyota that had 2 pair on it, holding the water neck on, appeared the bolts broke so instead of paying to get them removed..........30$ in vicegrips!
Brake lines, betting over the years I have found at least 3 rear brake lines crimped off with small vice grips!

mikeeebikey said:
Brake lines, betting over the years I have found at least 3 rear brake lines crimped off with small vice grips!

I've done this before on a trail ride when a rear wheel cylinder went bad, 3 brakes were better than none.

Back