Texas Special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I had planed to do one of these, I was just waiting on the right frame and I will soon have one. So I started off this afternoon with some of the loose part I had in my parts stash.

Quick pic to draw inspiration.

1968_Ford_GT40MarkIGulfOil2.jpg

The beginning of the project.

014bjq.jpg

016qz.jpg

021cn.jpg

Re: Gulf Racer

This is gonna be SWEET!!!

There was one of those in the Felt Bikes thread. Don't know how many they made. Cool idea though, I can think of a lot of other themes like that to do. '69 Z28 Pace Car comes to mind...

DSC04476.jpg

Wow.....nice work!

Thanks for the feedback. I looked at a lot of different vintage hot rods but the Gulf racer stood out to me, I also already had the orange 24" rims so it was matter of lacing them up.

As for other bikes I built a white bike last year so that pushed out all white hotrods/racers.

Here is a pic of the white one I built.

016lu.jpg

In an effort to visualize my plans to the wife I did this. Now I just have to figure out the rest of how this sucker is going to go together.

prototypei.jpg

Instead of using traditional nuts on the wheels, you could get oversized wing nuts like the knock offs on the gulf?

I was going to say that Steve McQueen drove a GT-40 in the Gulf colors just like the one you posted in the classic movie "Lemans". However. Wikipedia says McQueen drove a Porsche that sported the Gulf Oil colors. It's been a while since 1971. The movie was considered revolutionary because they mounted cameras on the cars in a variety of ways to catch authentic action. they also used actual race footage from the 1970 24 hours of Lemans.

Re: Gulf Racer no more now Texas Special

In an effort to use the wheels the original project is still not going forward but the wheels are on to the new project called Texas Special. I ended up getting another frame that will fit the tires and it already had the base coat needed for a faux patina look I have been wanting on a bike. The frame had a few small nicks and scratches which is great because it will add to the final look.

Here is the frame as it arrived
016dg.jpg

Now with the 2nd coat of paint, I'm gonna let this dry a few days before I do the other colors on top.
038vkd.jpg

Here is where I removed the fended mount since I will not be using that. I kept the rear one to hang a vintage license plate from.
022os.jpg

Got the rest of the parts to get this project moving along again. I'll get started on painting again and greeting ready for full assembly after paint and sanding is done.

Couple of pics from along the way.

071en.jpg

086sw.jpg

088eb.jpg

090wg.jpg

Here is the finished product I didn't do the best of taking pics along the way but its done.

102vra.jpg

101ezd.jpg

099ca.jpg

Gotta give special thanks to my Buddy chuck for helping.

Back