Tear drop trailer build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
xddorox said:
yoothgeye said:
Any idea of the weight of the camper without the trailer? I've been planning on making one freestanding that I can put on and take off my little utility trailer. Just your basic sleeper, nothing else, an alternative to a tent.
That's a great idea. I figure at least 500lbs if not more.

I'd like to shoot for about half that weight, using thin materials and fiberglass, then put legs on it that drop over the side so I can push it up on it's legs and drive the trailer out from under it.

Hi Gerry,

so quick question.:
you layed down newspaper with resin on it? no glassfiber?

i decided to ditch the teardrop project due to lack of funds and the fact that we might get one for free next year.

in the mean time i made myself a camping/bike hauling trailer.
here's what i did so far.:
what I satrted with
261384_208067399238236_100001049332888_620118_6826834_n.jpg

where I am at so far, might use your newspaper trcik to insulate from the rain.
262677_211413752236934_100001049332888_637027_2744339_n.jpg

264260_211635622214747_100001049332888_637895_4748610_n.jpg

OK, please give me some information on the lift pistons you used on this trailer, they look long and sturdy, so I'm thinking... $$$.

Sweet job Bernie. Stay away from the newspaper, it's a mess I have to clean up now with a lot of sanding. If I had to do it again, I would simply lay the resin straight on the wood.

Here's some updated pictures.

Building the rear hatch
DSCN1517.jpg

Installed the front window made from acrylic
DSCN1518.jpg

Three day week end with Canada Day on Friday was looking good except for storms all day Sunday. I got to work real hard and ended up with an extra day. No storms today until 1 hour ago, bonus!

Laid some Tremclad paint on the hatch and doors(4 coats). Installed the counter top, finished the front window and got one door completely done. It's amazing how much stuff goes into a door. You need to build one from scratch to realize that.

For the first time, she sat outside without a tarp. I left the easy up tent over her because the roof vent is not installed yet and a big hole is there. What was exposed survived a torrential rain fall without a drop in the cabin or kitchen.

Me happy. :)

DSCN1530.jpg

DSCN1531.jpg

DSCN1532.jpg

I kept some moldings from my 60 year old house after renovations. You don't see molding 10 foot long anymore from one piece of wood, no way I was going to throw that out. I used some to make the door-jam in the cabin. So now everywhere we go, we bring a little piece of home with us.

DSCN1534.jpg

Kitchen still needs a lot of work

DSCN1535.jpg

Gerry :)

yoothgeye said:
OK, please give me some information on the lift pistons you used on this trailer, they look long and sturdy, so I'm thinking... $$$.

as weird as it might sound the pistons came from a local electronic store
they are 90lbs each, 30'' long extended and 18" compressed.

Gerry i would says they would work for your rear hatch...they are sold at acces electronique for 10$ each.

tartosuc said:

Gerry i would says they would work for your rear hatch...they are sold at acces electronique for 10$ each.

$10 each... wow! What are they made for that they are offered at an electronic store?

tartosuc said:
yoothgeye said:

Yeah I need to get those and figure out how to install them. We have very special electronic stores around here. Everything for the hobbyist, they are just beautiful places. :)

install should be easy.
one trick, the ends are made of plastic and are supposed to be attached to a ball head like a in a car trunk. I broke one during installation in my trailer. I found out that you can unscrew the ball head attachement from the cylinder... there's a 1/4-20 bolt under it, just attach on the 1/4 bolt with a 90deg angle piece..

Almost done and 2 weeks to go until vacation time. That darn newspaper resin thing was a bust. I had to fix a bunch of rough spots and it still looks like crap. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet at some point and sand the whole thing down with a belt sander and redo the paint. Maybe next year. Until now here's where I am. I had no idea of how much stuff goes into building one of these. Any other project will be a cake walk after I'm done with this.

DSCN1578.jpg

DSCN1579.jpg

DSCN1581.jpg

wow! i am impressed with this camper! i notice you not only added clearance lights, but have them working as well. cant wait to see some pics of it on your vacation. 8)

Very cool really like how you added the kitchen in the back, can I ask how much you have in materials and how much time in it?

Ken Nighplay said:
Very cool really like how you added the kitchen in the back, can I ask how much you have in materials and how much time in it?
I started working on the project back in August last year. I haven't counted the hours but I am at about $2 000 in materials. This is better than getting a loan and a lot more fun. It will be paid for the moment I hook it up to the Highlander.

This is the sprint to the big finish, leaving for New Brunswick next Sunday and I still have a bunch of little and a few big things to do. I got busy in the past week and managed a few things.

I did the screen for the door windows, my better half made some nice curtains and we bought a $30 air matress at Wally world (I need gas money so the good mattress will have to wait).
DSCN1623.jpg

Installed the roof vent permanently and hooked a pair of computer fans to circulate air. the amp usage is ridiculously low.
DSCN1624.jpg

Got the winch and wheel. I also got my new 2" hitch receiver but have yet to cut the tongue in order to install it.
DSCN1625.jpg

Completed the doors with the rain gutter (Fabricated from stock aluminum) and rain deflector (Garage door lip.)
DSCN1626.jpg

Installed the galley neon and started the upper cupboard.
DSCN1627.jpg

Installed the scrap yard dome light in the cabin.
DSCN1628.jpg

Replaced the reading lights with LEDs
DSCN1629.jpg

I still have a million things to do, hopefully I'll pull it off. The trailer is taking a beating right now outside with a major rain storm. Can't wait to see if it's dry tomorrow.

Big step today, got the hitch on my Highlander and hooked it up. The car only went down 1/2 inch on the rear suspension. I put it in drive and the 220 hp wanted to go as usual like it wasn't hooked up to anything. The wiring is not finished yet for the lights on the trailer and I don't want to rush it. So test drive in the driveway for now. Should be good to go tomorrow evening and Saturday for the big test drive before leaving for vacation Sunday. Nobody around my place thought I would make it this far...I did. :)

DSCN1680.jpg

DSCN1681.jpg

Latest posts

Back