Tattoos

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread. I've been getting inked now for 10 yrs. Haven't gone steady and still have plenty of empty canvas to fill. I'll throw up a few pics of my recent work done. Half sleeve dedicated to my youth spent on the beach. Its progressed more but these are the only photos I have. I'll have to get the ole lady to snap some pics of my other ink. Currently have both legs work in progress, both sleeves work in progress , Right side Ribs done (big piece by far the worst pain out of any of them) I sit in 3 weeks to get my feet done, then sitting for my hands next. Lots of great ink on this site!!

4478332074_5561868ef5.jpg

4478331718_25b8340b3e.jpg

4478331318_c151655506.jpg

4477706831_19b6701c79.jpg

Curious how these newer tattoos hold up over time in comparison to the tattoos of the 50s - 70s.

I've seen some older dudes with them all over and let's just say....time was not kind to them. :lol:

Rat Rod said:
Curious how these newer tattoos hold up over time in comparison to the tattoos of the 50s - 70s.

I've seen some older dudes with them all over and let's just say....time was not kind to them. :lol:

I'm a little curious myself, since if modern ink doesn't live up to the hype, I'm going to look like a grey blob in 40 years. The fact is though modern tattoo ink is far more durable than the old stuff. A fair amount of my work is between 10 and 15 years old at this point and shows nearly no fading even in spots that get a lot of sun. Modern ink doesn't migrate like the old stuff did either, so the work stays much sharper looking. We'll see in the long run, but I'm pretty confident that my work will at least hold its shape pretty well, and outside of maybe some touchup work to fix fading way down the line those of us with tattoos done in the last 20 years or so should be in good shape.

Modern ink is way different that the stuff done even 10-15 yrs ago. With the introduction of carbon I would say our chances of our art retaining its form is much better than in the past. Black ink is composed of the following. Iron Oxide (Fe3O4),Iron Oxide (FeO),Carbon,Logwood. I get asked what I am going to look like when I get old often, my response is always, Have you ever met a senior citizen who cares about how he looks? They wear velcro shoes and dress pants :lol:

Ha Ha...gotcha. :wink:

I just know how fickle I am. As cool as I think tattoos are, I know if I ever got one, I'd probably be sick of it after 10 years.

I honestly don't care if my tattoos look horrible when I'm 60 or 70, if I'm lucky enough to live that long. As a youngster growing up I would see old men sleeved with all this dark unrecognizeable work on them and thought it gave them character. I would wonder what their story was or what kind of life they lived. I want to be that old guy one day, just a plain old person, not remarkable in any way but covered in tattoos.

here are two i just had done a couple weeks ago. the first is my hoosier pride tattoo. its the indiana state border, a cardinal (state bird) and a peony (state flower). just had this one done last sat at our fort wayne tattoo convention. its still healing. kinda flakey. and the second one is a day of the dead skull on my knee from a few weeks ago.

indianatattoo002.jpg

kneetattoo004.jpg

Smokey said:
I honestly don't care if my tattoos look horrible when I'm 60 or 70, if I'm lucky enough to live that long. As a youngster growing up I would see old men sleeved with all this dark unrecognizeable work on them and thought it gave them character. I would wonder what their story was or what kind of life they lived. I want to be that old guy one day, just a plain old person, not remarkable in any way but covered in tattoos.

Yeah...dang those plain old people anyway...ha ha! :lol:

thesuicideride said:
why are my pics always so huge? :? they come off of photobucket.

When you upload your photos into Photobucket you are able to choose what size you'd like them to be.

It looks like you have it set to upload at 1024 x 768. The forum should auto scale them down to 800 wide.

That photo above is going to look extra large because it is 768 x 1024 so it's really long.

how does the new stuff cover up scars and such? do the scars hold color at at all like the skin does? had a couple surgeries and wondering if it would look bad.

As long as the scars are old, and depending on how bad they are, they should hold ink just fine. I have tattoos that cover many small scars, and a few kinda gnarly scars. No fading or ink drop-out at all. After the tattoo has healed, you'll still be able to feel the scar, and I've found that in 1 or 2 of the worse ones the ink over the scar is a little shinier than over healthy skin. Not enough that anyone else would necessarily notice, but I do. Surgical scars should be able to be covered over pretty easily by an artist that knows what they're doing. Just make sure you trust your artist. My artist recommended waiting over a year for scar tissue to heal well enough to take a tattoo. The only time that scar tissue would probably not hold a tattoo is if it is exceptionally deep, a serious keloid scar, or possibly a serious burn. I have no experience with any of those situations, so I can't speak to that. Hope that answers your question.

cruisehard said:
h***...why not. All mine were usually spur-of-the-drunken-moment tattoos. Here's a few of mine...
My daughters name...
tat4.jpg

Randomness...
tat3.jpg

Agnostic Front boots! NYHC!!!
tat2.jpg

It was a hard life...
tat.jpg
Agnostic Front fan? :)

Got a lot more,just no photos.Happened to have the camera handy so I snapped a pic of the Schwinn krate sprocket on my elbow.Sorry its a little blurry,come to find out its hard to take a picture of your own elbow!
-Kreep-
S7300605.jpg

Latest posts

Back