Swing Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I traded some parts to a friend for these mismatched Swing Bike sections. It is in rough shape. The head tubes are ovalized and the seat post was rusted real bad. I cut it flush with the top of the seat tube and cut it in two places and chiseled it out.
IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

I made a seatpost tonight. I bought a piece of 3/4" steel tubing and cut a slot and coned out the bottom where the wedge goes. Gotta figure out a shim for the seat guts. I found a headset out of a department store bike for now.
IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

I have wanted one since I was probably 8 years old. My neighbor had one and I rode it all the time. I can't wait to get it in riding form. Just need another headset and a sissy bar. I have enough parts to at least put it together and ride it for now.

I got it all together. I bought a spring from the hardware store. It is way too light of a spring. I might buy complete set of springs that I saw on Ebay. Still gotta figure out a locking device for the two halves. I am gonna put a banana seat on it, but I need a sissy bar. It is fun to ride for sure, but it gets a little sketchy with the current spring.
IMG_1179.jpg

I thought the seatpost was the same size as a stem? I used a regular seatpost and cut the lower corner off so that a wedge would work. I ride mine without a spring too. I know the spring helps it return to the original position easier, but are there any other benefits?

I ended up welding a piece of square tube to the seatpost and drilling a hole for the seat. I put a banana seat on it. The seat sat way too far back otherwise. I will post a pic tonight. Its pretty close to the original setup.

ozzmonaut said:
I thought the seatpost was the same size as a stem? I used a regular seatpost and cut the lower corner off so that a wedge would work. I ride mine without a spring too. I know the spring helps it return to the original position easier, but are there any other benefits?

It's not the same, seatpost measures 19.5 mm (3/4 inch?) and the stem is 22.2 mm. What size seatpost did you use?

Previous owner of my Swingbike simply welded a tube in the rear triangle and welded a seat clamp to that - crappy solution. I got it out with no damage.. Banana seat was too far back, but it rode fine.

Back