SuperRat 32

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Genesis Super 32 picked off craigslist cheap. It is a aluminum frame cruiser with 32" wheels.
genesis32.jpg

Dissassembled, painted frame satin black, wheels red, painted on whitewalls.
Phat2%2520%25282%2529.JPG

Phat1.JPG

LOVING the look of this now! Still working on fenders, and looking for some ape hangers. Fiberglass gas (storage) tank when it warms up in my garage.

Re: Genesis 32 ratization

Thanks Guys - I really can't believe what a transformation just paint did. Looking forward to the apes, fenders, and tank! I noticed when I had the crank out that there was a hole drilled in the bottom bracket where each frame tube welded into it. This is megacool for running lighting wires inside the frame. My dad showed me a cool trick for running cables and wires through frames - tape off all openings in the frame except for the in and out holes for the cable/wire. Put a nice long piece of dental floss in one of the holes, keeping the end out, then blow compressed air into the hole. Eventually, the dental floss will blow out the other hole. Use the dental floss to pull a more substantial pull string through the frame, which is then used to pull the wire/cable.

Looks good. I think the apes will really set it off.

Working on the Tank today. Glued up the rough shape
press.jpg

Did some shaping, trying to extend the curve line of the seat stay tubes.
right.jpg

left.jpg

Looks about right. Really cold here lately, might have to make an ezbake oven to cure resin when I glass it.

Diggin it! I work with insul. foam a ton and you've really got a great shape out of it! Lookin' forward to more updates!

Yes, the foam will need to be isolated from the poly resin. Methods vary - foiling, taping, painting with thick latex paint. I will probably choose the latter because it will make the smoothest interior surface. I will be cutting a hatch in the top of the tank for storage access. Will also be lining the inside of the hollow tank with a thin foam like a yoga mat or tool drawer padding to keep it quieter in there when my keys and phone are bouncing around.

If you use a polyurethane foam to carve your parts you can fiberglass right over it. Just like the surfboard builders do.
Unlike polyester foams, polyurethane foam is compatible with both polyester and epoxy resins.

Yes, but my neighbor had a sheet if 2" 2'x8' blue foam insulation... Never underestimate the power of sloth!

IMG_20130218_133536.jpg

Couple coats of latex paint to protect the foam. I still need the foam to dissolve with gas after I glass it to create the hollow tank.

I'll be using a solar yard spot light as a headlight - will be incorporating the 2"x2" solar cell into the tank. Also using ElectroLuminescent wire in the back fender. Batteries for both of these efficient lights should only need the batteries changed every few years I imagine.

Back