Sun bikes or 1x1 for klunking?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CCR said:
Dethklok said:
so wait for the heavy duti frames I can run any standard headset?

Chicago Schwinn canti frames take a 1", the newer style frames do use a 1-1/8" headset. You can find reducers or mix headsets to run whatever fork you want though.

What he said, but to clarify:

The one headin' your way from texas has a standard 1.125" **threaded** headset, easily replaced with a threadless 1.125" headset, so you can run 85% of the commonly available 26" forks, assuming the steer tube is long enough. You can also get shims to knock it down to the 1" ID, should you want to run a 1" fork with a quill stem. So, you'll want "normal" 1.125" headsets. All of this new tapered/integrated/etc garbage has made things confusing, so you'll want to know that the cups are 34.0mm at insertion....

hth

Ok cool I guess I should have clarified, when I said standard I ment a modern, press in, external cup, threadless, 1-1/8 headset. which would be pretty sweet since it would open up a ton of options when it comes to forks! man I figured anything as old as this heavy duti would have only 1" this thing keeps getting better

Dethklok said:
Ok cool I guess I should have clarified, when I said standard I ment a modern, press in, external cup, threadless, 1-1/8 headset. which would be pretty sweet since it would open up a ton of options when it comes to forks! man I figured anything as old as this heavy duti would have only 1" this thing keeps getting better

THAT heavy duti is probably about 5 years old. :shock: Yeah, "normal" 1.125" headset, external press-in cups.

hahaha oh I thought it was quite a bit older...either way thats a pleasant surprise, anyone know the approximate AtC? yea sorry I can be a geometry geek sometimes...

If you look at the serial I believe the first two numbers are the year, my frame says something like sca08##########

Just guessing on that.

Dethklok said:
hahaha oh I thought it was quite a bit older...either way thats a pleasant surprise, anyone know the approximate AtC? yea sorry I can be a geometry geek sometimes...

I have no idea as to what the ATC is, but I'd guess in the neighborhood of 400-410mm. At any rate, I would be heavily surprised if the current geo is optimized for offroad racing. If I were in your shoes, I'd get the frameset, measure the stock ATC, build the bike enough for a brief testride, and then make an educated guess from there if you wanna keep the same head angle, or use a longer(or shorter) fork to change it according to your needs...

I ended up putting a landing gear on my worksman klunk, which has an ATC measurement (@400mm) midway between the current stock fork and the old-style stock fork that comes on the INB. My prediction for your schwinn: probably any mtb fork that's suspension-corrected for 80mm of travel (@415mm).

-rob

Yea I hear ya very sound advice and what I finally decided as well...I was kinda in a rush hopeing to get everything collected to build and ride as soon as the frame got here but I've decided to take my time and enjoy the build. Got some parts on order but we'll see what the future holds

I always do my best to take it slow, measure stuff, stop-n-think, etc. Plans change constantly, and they change even quicker when you get some curve balls thrown at you in terms of fitment.

I'm glad you got that frame; I'm feeling an itch to build another worksman soon, plus I have too many other prjects that are less than 100% done, even if I'm riding them already. Can't wait to see what you do with this one...

for future reference whats with the worksman vs heavy duti?

also what seatpost diameter does the heavy duti run?

Dethklok said:
for future reference whats with the worksman vs heavy duti?

also what seatpost diameter does the heavy duti run?

They're just the more popular and readily available industrial bikes out there, specs from Schwinn say the hd takes a 1" seat post, I've stuck a 1" seat post in mine with a Wald shim.

I can't remember if it was a 32mm or a 29mm clamp that fit best but I can check if needed.

ah alrighty cool just wondering if there was anything substantially different.

Im sorry for the 20/20 questions but whats the widest rear 26" tire the frame will take?

Again I can measure if you like, I'm guessing since they had balloon fenders on them you could squeeze a 3" tire in there but that might be getting tight. Stuck a 1.95 in mine with plenty of room, I would say a 2.5 wouldn't have any problems at all though.

Main differences between a Heavy Duti and a Worksman INB:
-1.125" headtube vs 1" headtube (old-fashioned size)
-1" seatpost vs 7/8" seatpost (makes a difference off-road, especially if you have the seat up higher for pedaling)
-larger diameter tubing on Heavy Duti throughout (INB has all 1" tubing in main triangle)
-Heavy Duty has straight downtube, which is probably stiffer, and definitely looks better
-Heavy Duti is TG-welded; INB is lugged and brazed
-Forward-facing horizontal dropouts on the HD vs rear-facing "track ends" on the INB
-Heavy Duti is made in the Far East; Worksman frames are made in Brooklyn (with a bunch of parts being made in Kentucky)

For the most part, though, they're basically the same bikes: primitive, heavyweight (in all ways, both good and bad) industrial-style cruisers that rust quickly and lend themselves well to goofy modification. I'd say that the HD is a better platform for a klunker, due to the 1.125" headtube, wider tubes, stronger seatpost, and legit-looking downtube. These will build the stronger, more versatile klunk. But I like the lugs and the made-in-USA vibes of the INB a bit more, and the dropouts look legit. I think the INB has more in common with the original klunker bikes (1" quill stem, track ends, made in the US, etc.)

aahhh ok cool well maybe I'll eventually have to add one to the stables someday.

I was also wondering about triple tree forks for klunking? either rigid or the RST short travel?

From my perspective, Sun has a reputation for weak frames, due not to design, but from low quality tubing. If you won't be doing hi-speed down hill or gaining altitude of more than 6 or 8", X-Mart Chinese "Schwinn" or Golden Wheel bikes are sturdier and half the price. If you miss the mark on a hard bank and slam or bail, any of them are probably toast.

Latest posts

Back