Sturmy Archer 3speed hub SA stamped rim - help!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Picked this up for free last week. I can't make out the size or find info on a sturmy hub and wheel. I think I read 026x 1 5/8 is that right? Is this some kinda beefy road bike wheel? None of my 26" tires come close to fitting over it. Had one guy tell me it's a one year only 67 schwinn approved wheel but he's mostly full of dung. Any help would be of help!

26 x 1 3/8" Pretty much the most common size for British 3 speeds. How many spokes? 36? 40?

40. And thanks for the info. English 3spds, I know nuthin bout'em! :? It's in fine working condition. I could relace it onto a wheel I could actually use I suppose.

roadmaster said:
You want the Schwinn sized 26 x 1 1/8 - 1 3/8th. it is a little bigger than a standard 26 x 1 3/8th tire but most bike shops can easily order them. Good luck!

Cheers roadmaster! I will probably move this one n down the line before I ever start tire shopping. Cheers all!

I think with it being a 40-hole, it will specifically NOT be a Schwinn rim. It will probably take the smaller size 26x1-3/8" tires. (Possibly marked EA-3 British Rims).

The difference in size is 7mm. Schwinn's 26x1-3/8" S-5 and S-6 used 597mm rims. The "rest of the world" used 590mm rims and tires.

One won't fit the other. The reason I don't believe it will be the Schwinn size is that Schwinn never used anything but 36 hole rims on these bikes. The Raleighs (and many other brands they owned) used the 40 hole in the rear.

The 40 hole is not good for much other than parts or for actually fixing an English bike. There's not really any other spoke pattern that can use this rim.

--Rob
EDIT: corrected tire sizes, 590mm and 597mm for non-S6 and S6 sizes. Both are labeled the same on rims and sidewalls "26x1-3/8"

If I'm seeing it right the hub was built in 1969...P 8)

Latest posts

Back