Sturmey Archer 5 speed gear ratio. Adjustment?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded my bike to a Sturmey Archer 5 speed internal hub wheel set with drum brakes.
I didn't install the wheels, as I didn't trust myself with the final adjustments.

I was wondering if there is a way to change the gearing ratio, or adjust the gearing?
Maybe it will just take getting use too but I found first and second gearing way too light.
Taking off within a dozen pedal rotations I was already up to third gear. I don't know how fast I was going, but when I was cruising in third other cyclists were passing me.

On a side note, I climb these 5-6 times a day, 500 steps one way so my legs definitely aren't weak. That is if power is a factor.
wentworth.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Well, you can't change the gear ratios within the hub. But you can change the sprocket ratios driving it. How many teeth are on the front and rear sprockets? Changes to the rear are more effective. If the rear has, say, 20 teeth, then replace it with one has maybe 18. If that isn't enough, drop to 16T. The cogs are pretty cheap. I believe the 5-speed hubs take the same cogs as the normal 3-speed or single-speed coaster brake hubs, so you have the same range of choices. I think they go as small as 14T, and up as high as 23T.

There are also online calculators that help determine suitable ratios, such as:
http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/internal.html

If you use the cog combination that lets you have about the tallest high gear you can manage for your kind of riding/country then the ratios within will end up spreading you out nicely from a granny gear for hard climb and really running for speed.

Back