STUPID PEOPLE DON'T NEED CELL PHONES!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out cruising this morning on my Phat Stretch and some moron, either dialing or texting, ran me off the road. Tweaked the rear rim a little, snapped a spoke and gave the rim a little road rash. I was able to limp it home and get it to someone to repair it back to normal, except for the rash. Some dude at an auto shop who saw it happen screamed at the person driving but didn't even phase him/her. I only wish I was able to get the plate number.

I hear you man, glad you're okay. People now days drive like they just don't care and most just don't. We got people on cell phones, people messing with the radio, doing makeup in the mirror, I have even seen people changing cloths while driving! Idiots I tell you.

Cell phones nearly kill me daily on my 8.4 mile trek to and from work, jeez, like I was told, "you better wait since you don't have bumpers..." Yes said and can never be taken back, I lost my idealism that moment!

Cars are coffins...

I got rear ended a couple of months ago at a red light sitting still by a woman staring at her phone. She was stopped behind me and when traffic started moving in the turn lane to our left, she took off and rammed me. I never saw it coming. She didn't either. :x

In the late 70's I worked at Pizza hut and rode my bike 5 miles either way to work everyday, along traveled roads. I wouldn't do that today with the attitudes and ignorance out there. My work now is 3 miles away, but I ride the sidewalks.

I woke up a little sore this morning. Considering the alternative I can live with sore. I've had numerous close calls since getting back on a bike last year. I can't count how many times people pull out of a restaurant or grocery store parking lot without even stopping to look both ways before entering the roadway and almost hitting me. A few times they were so close I slapped the side window, hood or trunk lid to let them know how close they came to running me over. I hit one lady's car causing her to look to her right and she stepped on the gas to get away with no concern that she might run me down. I normally ride on the side walks, I don't trust people enough to ride in the designated bike lanes here. The 100 foot stretch I was on when I was forced off had no side walk. Had to use the road to get back on.

I've often said that it's a sign of the decline of western civilization that we have to make something as inherently stupid as texting while driving illegal to get people to stop doing it... :roll:

If you've ever seen the movie "Premium Rush" They have a creative solution... Wraps bike chain around fist and says If you're not gonna use it, I guess you don't need it, then takes side mirror off. :mrgreen:

So far I have been lucky and only been hit bad once when I was a kid which WAS MY fault. I had just oiled my chain and the brake pads had picked up oil and didn't work and I went right over a Dodge Intrepid, broke my left wrist but was okay.

I have had several close calls and had to chain whip a few cars (Even before that movie) in one instance I was crossing a street and a guy making a right turn just went and ran over my bike trailer completely destroying it. He was about to drive off and I yelled and he was like get out of the way! I took my lock and broke his headlight so he'd stay put. Turns out the guy didn't have insurance and admitted to the cops he was going to leave the scene and got arrested. :mrgreen:

There's been several bike vs auto accidents resulting in the bike rider passing away here. The bike rider has always been at fault. They assume traffic is going to stop or slow down for them and shoot into traffic trying to cross 2 and 4 lane roadways. There was one just a few blocks from our home. The rider was on the side walk going with traffic and as soon as his side cleared he tried to cross 4 lanes. He almost made it but two cars traveling in the opposite direction hit him. First hit his back wheel throwing him and his bike into a fast spin. As he was in the air the second car hit him throwing his head into the curb. The young lady in the second car was, and probably still is, a mess. Before that a biker was traveling with traffic and decided to cut across to get on the side walk. At that moment a state trooper was turning at the intersection and ran him over. I've heard stories of car drivers aiming to knock bike riders off their bikes hoping to cause enough damage to keep them off their bikes because according to them, "We claim to own the roads".

Mastec said:
There's been several bike vs auto accidents resulting in the bike rider passing away here. The bike rider has always been at fault. They assume traffic is going to stop or slow down for them and shoot into traffic trying to cross 2 and 4 lane roadways. There was one just a few blocks from our home. The rider was on the side walk going with traffic and as soon as his side cleared he tried to cross 4 lanes. He almost made it but two cars traveling in the opposite direction hit him. First hit his back wheel throwing him and his bike into a fast spin. As he was in the air the second car hit him throwing his head into the curb. The young lady in the second car was, and probably still is, a mess. Before that a biker was traveling with traffic and decided to cut across to get on the side walk. At that moment a state trooper was turning at the intersection and ran him over. I've heard stories of car drivers aiming to knock bike riders off their bikes hoping to cause enough damage to keep them off their bikes because according to them, "We claim to own the roads".
You can't expect to reap the benefits of motor vehicle laws if you don't obey them yourself. You can't be above the law and then expect it's protection.

Mastec said:
I've heard stories of car drivers aiming to knock bike riders off their bikes hoping to cause enough damage to keep them off their bikes because according to them, "We claim to own the roads".

Remind me if I ever go riding in Florida to get my carrier permit renewed and a nice visible side holster... :mrgreen:

g-ratter said:
Just on the news yesterday. Florida #2 in bicycle accidents. Did not say who #1 was.

the other day I was driving home and saw a guy on his cell phone. he started to drift into my lane. I got so mad I threw my beer can at him!

just kidding! just kidding! :lol:

g-ratter said:
Just on the news yesterday. Florida #2 in bicycle accidents. Did not say who #1 was.
I'd about bet money it's New York. I know you couldn't pay me to ride a bike in NYC, I'd be scared driving a small car.

beatcad said:
g-ratter said:

the other day I was driving home and saw a guy on his cell phone. he started to drift into my lane. I got so mad I threw my beer can at him!

just kidding! just kidding! :lol:
That had better been an empty beer can boy!

Haha but I have been known to vault a water bottle at an inebriated operator.......or even sober ones.....Threaten me with not having bumpers and get wet!

Let them keep their phones. Take away their cars. :idea: They'll probably walk right into to traffic staring at their phones, though. :roll: Plenty of those knuckleheads around here. :x

I was almost pancaked by a women 2days ago...( I was on my scooter) wen some women just flew out from a country dirt road,kid in front seat/No seat belt...She kept saying sorry,I said "Forget sorry how about ummmm STOP"

So sad my thoughts and wishes go out to the families...
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafe ... ls/2139945

Back