Stuck stem! Any suggestions?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
images
:thumbsup:

Curious.
Are the spring studs bent, or does it just look that way?
No, they're just loosely fastened for right now. Pretty sure the fork didn't suffer any structural damage during the onslaught. Had to cut the top nut off, even the PB Blaster couldn't loosen that. So I lost about 1/2" of threaded steer tube, but my boy's bike head tube is 1 1/2" shorter than the Monark; plenty long. Will have to add some spacers, and maybe convert it to threadless stem set up, but that will be easy after getting this far! Super stoked!

Sure hope the shortened steerer tube doesn't unduly complicate using the springer. Anxious to see how you'll address that.

Glad you saved it!

Curious.
Are the spring studs bent, or does it just look that way?
Yes, I believe they are bent. The two forks should run parallel with each other. Shouldn't be very much trouble to straighten it back into place though.

I think the issue is more that the steerer is shorter now, so the forks no longer run parallel to one another, as the springs and associated hardware are still the proper length for the original steerer specs....

Sure hope the shortened steerer tube doesn't unduly complicate using the springer. Anxious to see how you'll address that.
Hey Rusty, my head tube for the rat rod recipient is 1 1/2 " shorter than the donor. I will use spacers (similar to a threadless set up) to keep the distance from springer top to bottom the same as the stock set up. It will take a little customization, but isn't that what rat rodding is all about? :wink1: Really looking forward to the application in the future.....!

22030_f9fd0b884e9cf65206791af9ddf3e88c.jpg

So guys, here is the pic I posted earlier before any alterations were made to the fork. Observe the springer legs on the far side.....obviously not parallel....I only cut off the portion of the fork with the 'top nut' attached; nothing of what was below that point, which is where the mount for the springs rest. Maybe it's the fact that there is no wheel in the fork and it is in a more 'relaxed' state. Either way, I'm not worried. When Handel wrote the Messiah in 24 days, I'm sure he wasn't all that worried about what the critics would think. He composed from the heart and put all his passion into the work. That's kind of how I operate. A spark starts, a flame appears, a fire soon emerges and continues to burn until all the energy is consumed and transformed from one state to another. Guess we'll just have to wait for the smoke to clear on this one....:bigsmile:

Here's a picture of my Monark for comparison. notice that the springs are in line with the rest of the fork below them.
100_4088_zps455cd179.jpg

100_3892_zps95e52aa1.jpg
Do you think it's the fact that there is no wheel / tire in the frame I had that makes the difference? Don't know what else to say except, that's the way they came to me....

It's bent at the base of the springs. Shouldn't be a big deal. Take it apart and you will see that the rods/bolts are bent back and should be straight in line with the fork. You can probably cold set them back in line but adding heat would be better.

Latest posts

Back