Stretched Murray cantilever

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: My first Stretch: Murray cantilever > new direction...

Dude, those bars are sick! Question: what type of welder are you using-is it a MIG?

Thanks guys! I like the way the bars came out too... very happy with their length and look.

Outlaw, I think I stretched it about 7 or 8 inches.

Bikeriderx, I am using a wire feed MIG Miller welder.

have you seen the pupper in the gallery with the clear coated rust finish? (weeks of salt water treatment)
its kinda cool. that being said, i was very much looking forward to the completion of this build, but i'm not diggin the new dirrection. ya want ratty? it was ratty after ya first welded it. (blue red stage)still is my fav look for the frame.
leaving the original patina on a 50 year old bike so ya dont have to remove any of the original finish is one thing, but letting a new build rust for the sake of having a rusty bike, to me just seems like neglet.
your a talented guy, and i'm sure you can come up with a better plan.
dont let that awesome bike rust away, please!

icyuod2 said:
dont let that awesome bike rust away, please!
Not only that, unlugged , nonbutted welds may suffer serious internal oxidation that you DON'T want. I think your fine handiwork deserves better, even if its just red oxide primer.

hate to admit it unchained, but i hae to agree with these guys. that bike is pretty freakin rad dude and you dont want all your hard work to go to waste. i still think you should go with the orange color you had talked about doing. just my opinion man. but hey, its your bike, do what ya want!!!

ya made one of these already! if you want it rusty, do it. then do up another one and paint that sucker!!!

Easy E

I see both points. I personally would like to see it go either way. I don't think the internal rust will be a problem as long as it is only left in the weather until the desired effect takes place. Then keep it in the house, garage or shed. It is a ratrod bike. Have fun with it.

Thanks for all the feedback... I didn't expect such a fast or intense response. :shock: I thought about it, didn't like it in the rain, and pulled it back inside. It is all cleaned off again... I'm not sure what to do about it yet. I still like the orange color scheme; so if I go painted, that's what will happen, I'm pretty sure.

looks great! cant wait to see the finished "paint job" :wink: :lol:

Re: My first Stretch: Murray cantilever > final direction

Well, I've set my mind upon either bare steel or gloss black using REAL paint. :wink: I'm more partial to the bare metal thing now. To give some idea what the finished bike will consist of, pictures are below. I will be suing a spaceliner springer fork if all goes well as well as a 52 tooth Sears crank, black torpedo grips, a deep black deluxe spring saddle, and Duro 26x2.125 brick tread WW's. I've bgun the filing process on the bars and have improved quite a bit. I am SO HAPPY with the way it looks now... the bars just fit in so nicely in my opinion. The fork is there only for the picture.

oiawj7.jpg
Look at that chain. 8)
2wdakb9.jpg
Welded in the center of the visible section... filed out pretty clean.

looks sweet! i like those bars!

stretch said:
looks sweet! i like those bars!

Thanks! I am really feeling them on this one, they just seem to fit to me. The late '50's style curves at the top should be well accented/balanced by the similar bends in the trusses of a Spaceliner springer.

The bike will be terrorizing the streets of central MA by early summer. :lol:

man i'm sooo glad ya pulled it out of the rain. i'm back onboard dying to see the finished results.
the bike looks sick, and i'm sure if ya paint it black or orange or even clear the bare metal, its gonna rock!

Thanks guys! I too am psyched about this one... got to finish filing those handlebar welds this afternoon.

Well, thanks to CCR for kindly holding this fork for me, I know have an appropriate springer fork for this build:

101_0008.jpg

101_0007.jpg

Can't wait for it to arrive!

I don't know HOW I missed seeing this build earlier, but WOW! :shock: Awesome! The rat trap springer only adds to the coolness! ~Adam

Rustinkerer said:
I don't know HOW I missed seeing this build earlier, but WOW! :shock: Awesome! The rat trap springer only adds to the coolness! ~Adam

Thanks Adam, I appreciate the compliments!

This is only the second bicycle I've built that I have been satisfied with... I suppose I shouldn't speak too soon considering it's not done, but is very close. I have a bare saddle seat coming in trade that I am going to make a custom undercarriage for (that's to be explained later 8) ) and I'm thinking it will be a really satisfying build when all is said and done. I am still wavering between bare steel cleared or gloss black... every time I make my mind up I swing the other way. :roll:

How do I add a poll?

Still awaiting my springer.... I stole away for half an hour this afternoon when I could to work on my stretch a little again. I welded my custom laid back post up, and finish filed that and all the handlebar welds. Thanks to 2manybikes, I have a SWEET '50's Lobdell men's saddle as the seat for this one... It had disgusting fabric on it (totally destroyed and not salvageable) so I tore that off and stripped the seat down to bare steel too... And I love it! As comfortable as could be and looks awesome with the rest of the bike. Pictures up soon, hopefully tomorrow, though I have many things on the list above that. After this update nothing will be posted until the finished gallery thread. 8) I'm on the home stretch with this one, and soon to get back to the long neglected '68 Orange Krate. :shock:

Unchained said:
I am still wavering between bare steel cleared or gloss black... every time I make my mind up I swing the other way. :roll:
That's why they make COINS. Hang on I'll flip one for ya........................getting out of pcket now...............HEADS = clear. You did a great job on the welding and filing, so show it off.

Back