storing cars

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any tips on storing old cars?
I rented a unit a block away to keep my olds in and while they are really clean and well maintained units I worry about mice
in the past I used mothballs (which stink forever) and poison but cars have still been gotten into. so I just was wondering if anyone else had ideas

how long is it going to be stored? i would start with the moth balls but they do stink. personally i would cover any holes that they could sneak into and remove the wheels put it on stands so that the tires dont rot. if it is going to sit for over say a year i would remove the plugs squirt some marvel mystery oil on there then put the plugs back in. then remove the coil wire and turn it over a few times. that way the top end is lubed. also either remove the battery or get one of those battery tenders that will charge the bat when it drops below a certian level.

karfer67 said:
how long is it going to be stored? i would start with the moth balls but they do stink. personally i would cover any holes that they could sneak into and remove the wheels put it on stands so that the tires dont rot. if it is going to sit for over say a year i would remove the plugs squirt some marvel mystery oil on there then put the plugs back in. then remove the coil wire and turn it over a few times. that way the top end is lubed. also either remove the battery or get one of those battery tenders that will charge the bat when it drops below a certian level.

all of the above!@

as well...throw an Old Car seat next to where it's parked..
give them something else to Chew on so they stay outa the car.

peace,
Kev.

Make sure you document your car thoroughly with pictures. We stored our 59 chevrolet that had the original T-3 Headlights. When we got it back out there was only 1 or the 4 original headlights still in there. Someone swapped them out. There was no way to prove that they were there or not.
It's okay now because I have been able to salvage about 10 out of local junkyards.
Good Luck!

this is in a small unit (16 sheds) a block from my home owned by the mayor of my big city of 1400 and I have the only key so I dont think loosing my headlights is an issue lol just unfourntaly the car is so huge there is no room for bikes in with it! lol

Put your moth balls on the ground around your car and take the pic's for any insurance needs, like fire or break ins. mice and other rodents are hard to detour, so you may want to check on it as often as you can and start it to charge the battery. Just remove your cables so if the wires do get chowed on and keep your gas sealed. If the storage unit gets hot inside you may want to vent it some how. Check with your insurance people for tips on storing. I once stored a 69 Nova SS and my landlord ripped it off. All he would say is what car you don't rent from me. even tho your landlord is the Mayor get receipts. Good luck!

Back