Stem stopper in fork?? update!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do some forks have like a stem stopper inside it? No matter what stem I try it stops higher then I want. I want to lower it. Any clue?

20121019_191643.jpg

Re: Stem stopper in fork??

There shouldn't be a stem stopper in the fork. Maybe there is a wedge nut from another stem stuck inside the fork? If so there is usually a hole in the bottom of the fork that you can knock an old screwdriver in from the bottom and dis-lodge it.

you might have to take the fork off and inspect it from the outside. If the steer tube is bent it might not be visible from the inside, but would still keep the stem from dropping all the way. Does the fork spin freely without binding anywhere?

Had same thing with my fork. Took it out and its bulged from wedge being to tight once or 20 times. Tubes straight tho.

schwinnless said:
Had same thing with my fork. Took it out and its bulged from wedge being to tight once or 20 times. Tubes straight tho.

What did you do about it?

I dont want to change forks.

do you use any spray lube I had one that did that and i sprayed both parts down with pb blaster and then tapped it down with a rubber mallet it ended up being some heavy flaky rust in the fork tube

dragnusa said:
do you use any spray lube I had one that did that and i sprayed both parts down with pb blaster and then tapped it down with a rubber mallet it ended up being some heavy flaky rust in the fork tube

I will try that first.

Update! Ok I pulled the fork off and shined a light in it. There is like a second wall inside the fork. From the top of the tupe down its about 2 1/2 inches till the stem stops. Thats where that ring in the pic starts. I tried filing it down some but it goes to the bottom.

20121020_144701.jpg

deven_science said:
Maybe the tube was lengthened/shortened/repaired at some point? That's when you insert a smaller tube inside to line it up for re-welding.

Well thats what I thought too. But here is a pic of the tube and it looks fine...

20121020_145859.jpg

deven_science said:
Maybe the tube was lengthened/shortened/repaired at some point? That's when you insert a smaller tube inside to line it up for re-welding.
thats what it looks like to me too.. :|

I have a set of Murray forks the same way, there's a lip about 3 inches down. I can get by at that height, but one solution might be to use a smaller diameter wedge or file down the wedge you have. That might give enough to work.

I cut a stem down by about three inches. I just cut it at the angle that the wedge sits on and then filed it smooth. The stem goes all the way in now, down to the clamp. I can't remember why I had to cut it down but it worked fine.

Back