Steering wheel instead of handlebars

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came across a blog with some odd old bike pics and there was one of a 10ft tall trike that had a steering wheel instead of handle bars. Anyone done this here?

If not I want to see at least one build off bike with a steering wheel :mrgreen:

Huffy sold a muscle bike with a steering wheel in the 70s. There were also a couple of different aftermarket bicycle steering wheels that you could adapt to any bike. As with anything fun (read potentially dangerous 8) the lawyers put a stop to it.

2manybikes said:
Huffy sold a muscle bike with a steering wheel in the 70s. There were also a couple of different aftermarket bicycle steering wheels that you could adapt to any bike. As with anything fun (read potentially dangerous 8) the lawyers put a stop to it.

yep huffy's was called "the wheel". a couple of kids had them new in my neighborhood growing up. that's one bike i'd love to have stock and keep my sawzall away from (no easy feat mind you. she can be tricky).

i have one of the cheaper steering wheel type handlebars. more or less a pair of ape hangers that have a metal ring attatched to the top.

Here's one...

This is an NOS piece I just picked up for one of my riders. It's like driving a semi, but I like it! :D
100_3347.jpg

100_3346.jpg

wow, that's awesome, glad i asked.

I could still see something rattier making an appearance on something like what Karfer would build. Like and actual car steering wheel with an attachment welded on allow it to work with a threadless stem.

One of my very 1st choppers I had growing up had a car steering wheel welded directly to the stem. Looking back now,the wheel , the 4 foot forks, and 12 or 16 inch front wheel made for an extremely exaggerated front end flop situation. The plus side? I could leave that bike anywhere unlocked and know it would be there when I returned, because I was the only one who could ride it ! 8)
Sorry folks, I dont think there are any pics back at the old homestead.
Rick

There is a guy on the Schwinnn Forum selling those NOS wheels (like randfink has) for $90.

The Huffy "The Wheel" steering wheels were more like a car steering wheel. They sold them as kits as well, but good luck finding one of them for any kind of reasonable money.

Here is a Huffy from Jim's collection (New England Muscle Bike Museum)

wheels.jpg

Steering wheels are cool on bikes. I found this car steering wheel at a yard sale and made a steering tube from galvanized pipe for BEER RUN (RRBB06)
a8.jpg

zoso said:
If not I want to see at least one build off bike with a steering wheel :mrgreen:

Well in RRBBO#6 there were 2 steering wheel equipped bikes, Beer Run above and Karfer's Hard Luck below.

bb5911214.jpg

Yup, I'm friends with Adam who built that one. It's hilarious to see him ride it with such a small wheel on it. It's like having tiny handlebars.

Back