Steering a Vintage Bicycle a Fun way

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying Zombie

~:Undead Forever:~
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This photo has surfaced a few times in the last decade or so. I can't help but to admire it every time it does.

Who wants to get on the bandwagon for making THESE?:

312E2C28-2B7A-4881-B253-6139DAB60603.jpeg

Perhaps not always Wood ones, as the cost would be the New Custom Part price,. But maybe something made from rolled tubing with a cross brace in the center to attach via any neck/stem for 7/8"?

-Fz

Muscle bikes coined in on Butterfly Bars that look really sharp on some bikes. I've always liked the Wald Wacky Bars, Walds version of the Schwinn Ramshorn but wider set.
I've used a Wald Wheel Handlebar on a vintage a few times. Goofy as heck but a fun time when you wanna mix it up and ride a bike in a way that transforms it's feel.

-Robin

This photo has surfaced a few times in the last decade or so. I can't help but to admire it every time it does.

Who wants to get on the bandwagon for making THESE?:

View attachment 246381
Perhaps not always Wood ones, as the cost would be the New Custom Part price,. But maybe something made from rolled tubing with a cross brace in the center to attach via any neck/stem for 7/8"?

-Fz
I'm betting there are a ton of old tractor steering wheels available that wouldn't take much to convert. I've seen a few laying in corners of a couple friends machine sheds. I'll see about grabbing a couple and figure out what would need to be done to convert them. (Pictures are from the web).
Screenshot_20230827-192808.png
Screenshot_20230827-192727.png

I'd like to see a dragster butterfly steering "wheel" for A bike.
View attachment 246404

I actually saw one on a bike at Tour de Fat in Ft. Collins, CO many years ago. Of course the bike was a dragster fame w/skinnies up front & Hoosier slicks out back. Looked like a funny car without the body/engine. Pedal powered. Wish I had a pic. It was pretty awesome!

Well I picked up a couple old John Deere tractor steering wheels not long after this was posted, and just got busy with other things. Yesterday I was digging in the parts shed looking for a stem I needed for a neighbor's bike and set some stems and stem adapters that were not what I was looking for aside on the work bench. When I went to clear them off the bench one of the stem adapters rolled off and landed right next to one of the steering wheels and that was that. I'm going to pull a couple of the bikes from the bike shed and see how it actually works and looks. Because the center cone is tapered on this steering wheel I think it should just snug tight when installed but I may have to add a couple set screws. I'll post pictures tomorrow after I try out a couple bike and fork combos.
IMG_20240212_223744751.jpg
IMG_20240212_223804505.jpg
IMG_20240212_223917957.jpg

Well I picked up a couple old John Deere tractor steering wheels not long after this was posted, and just got busy with other things. Yesterday I was digging in the parts shed looking for a stem I needed for a neighbor's bike and set some stems and stem adapters that were not what I was looking for aside on the work bench. When I went to clear them off the bench one of the stem adapters rolled off and landed right next to one of the steering wheels and that was that. I'm going to pull a couple of the bikes from the bike shed and see how it actually works and looks. Because the center cone is tapered on this steering wheel I think it should just snug tight when installed but I may have to add a couple set screws. I'll post pictures tomorrow after I try out a couple bike and fork combos.
View attachment 258750View attachment 258751View attachment 258753
I can't wait, Ed! This is the first steps I'm seeing to a process like this.

Great candidate!

Sorry, no photos yet. The stem adapters I have are to large for any of my older bikes. I did dig up a 50's era seat post that is the same set up as a stem. It's a bit short so I plan on extending it with a Schwinn seat post. I have to do some drilling and get a longer bolt or threaded rod long enough. So hopefully make some forward progress this weekend.

How about something with a nautical flair? Then you could rig it with a sail!

View attachment 259815

View attachment 259826
Weird timing, I'm actually working on the steering wheel and stem right now. Hope to have a few pictures posted yet this evening. That sail is a good idea for me. We've had 3 days of 25mph wind and 45mph wind gusts.

few years back, there was a guy who had a noat wheel on his. He said it was a 60s or 70s boat.

Latest posts

Back