steer tube extension?s

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to do my triple clamp fork build and I need to make the steer tube about 3/4" longer. I have some 1" DOM tubing with a heavier wall that I am thinking of using for the extension. This is a threaded 1 1/8" steer tube so the DOM fits tightly inside. If I cut it and put about 3/4" in each end of the cut and weld everything back together will I have any issues? I'll need to do it closer the the fork end so the stem can go all the way down but that's all I can see as being a problem. I could also drill a few holes in the steer tube to do some plug welds if that would be beneficial. I'm sure the DOM is at least as strong as the steer tube and stronger than a 1" steer so that should be fine..? I couldn't find any remnant 1 1/8" tubing at the yard today and I wasn't going to buy a 20' stick for this repair.
Anything I'm missing?

I've made a lot of steerer tube extension without any problems. You should definetly make the splice farther down on the steerer tube it your going to use a quill stem and check the steerer to see if it's butted towards the bottom, I've cut steerers too far down into the butt and and it is a pain to get the extension piece to fit "tight". You can use a piece of angle iron to keep it all straight when welding, just clamp the parts of the steerer in the "V" of the angle iron and weld away. :D

Yeah, it is butted near the bottom I planned on cutting about 1/2"-3/4" above that. Looks like the quill will clear if I pay attention to what I'm doing.

Back