Steel City CCM Rat *GONE KLUNKER*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this 53 CCM 26er at the local vintage bike show. I'm thinkin I'm goin bare metal with red von dutch style pinstriping and painting the original wheels red and lacing them with new polished stainless spokes and of coarse wide whites. I haven't decided on bars yet. Still gotta find fenders, I was thinkin Nirve street sweepers.
Bikes062.jpg
Worked on it today stripping it down and all went smooth until it came to the pedals. They will not come off, even with heat.
Bikes068.jpg

Re: Steel City CCM Rat

Cool Frame. Those Streetsweepers would be cool fitted to some Felt Whitwalls.

Did you try this?! It usually works. Hammer it on the end of the crank arm. It loosens the threads. I put a chunk of steel on the other end of the arm I'm hammering on to help concentrate the blow on the pedal end. Don't get to carried away or you will ruin the crank. Best of luck.
hammer.jpg

thanks boardtrack fan, once I got some dinner in me and did a few stretches I was ready for another go at it. A bunch more heat and a big grunt and off they came. It's Canada day on wednesday so what's more patriotic than working on the CCM all day. :D

I hadn't heard of hammering the ends, that's a good idea, whenever they were too stuck I used to cut them off with the torch :shock: I really like the frame, I think it will be really cool all striped.

Alternatively, you can disassemble the pedal down to the center shaft, put the crank arm in a vice and then use a pipe wrench on the shaft to loosen it. Pipe wrenches grab and get tighter. It may leave a gouge but it will be covered when the pedal is put back together. Works great.

Unchained said:
I hadn't heard of hammering the ends, that's a good idea, whenever they were too stuck I used to cut them off with the torch :shock: I really like the frame, I think it will be really cool all striped.

That is a cool trick. Never did it on the cranks but I have given screws a wack by tapping the screw driver first. In my trade I was taught to wack the nails twice to break the bond before removing it. You were to hit it like a teenage boy, the first hit was to get his attention. I learned to trust these old timers, now I are one :shock:

GL

Did some paint stripping today, comin along pretty good. I did some fine sanding in a couple areas going from 220-320-600 grit and it came up so awesome I think I'm going to sand and polish the whole thing :shock: . Very tedious. Oh well.
Bikes076.jpg
Bikes073.jpg
Bikes071.jpg

Finally rideable....but not finished. I scored some wheels off of a new cruiser bike i bought off kijiji. I ended up using the wheels, tires, and the handle bars which are sporting the original grips. I put a Wrights leather saddle on it which is surprisingly comfy. I tried the bars upside down, loved the look but was to cramped feeling so I put them right side up, way better. Still have to find some fenders that fit a "middle weight gone fat tire". More than likely have to customize some.
Bikes119.jpg
Bikes120.jpg
Bikes122.jpg
Bikes123.jpg

Re: Steel City CCM Rat; Fender Update

I went to my parents cottage yesterday for my dads b-day and we played with bikes. Awesome! He found me some nos CCM fenders at a bike shop with some really old stock they were blowin out. I didn't like them in the stock position at all. While I was sitting back looking at it, ALAS, I jumped up and did some repositioning and VOILA! I think I need another set though, so I can piece them together so they go farther around. The front is still in the original spot, but that will change when I piece them together.
Bikes124.jpg
Bikes125.jpg

Nice build........the polished frame looks great!

Its a shame you cant find a CCM Flyte....guess you could come up with a unicorn first. :lol:

cool bike!

Here's mine, the ladies version, which I build for RRBBO4

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16183
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18603

How did you identify the year? I found one list of serial numbers, but mine wasn't on it, although the frames look VERY similar in the rear end and headtube lugs. Your fender treatment is going to look awesome. I like the Ribbed CCM fenders, and you'll have more edges to play your striping off of.

Thanks, I love what you did with your bike too. I identified the year by the serial # on the top of the seat tube on the frame. There is a letter in each serial # and depending where the letter is in the sequence will determine the year. The serial # chart only went from 1921 to 1960 so maybe its a little newer than you thought or you havent found the actual #.Nevertheless...great bike!

I think we are looking at the same chart. the only serial number I see is on the rear non-driveside dropout, which reads G104416, which doesn't appear on the list. I don't really care that much, just a matter of curiosity.

Back