Stear tube not long enough

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: "STEER tube" sorry was typing fast

Need some help

I have searched the forums, I cant find the info. Maybe im not using the right key words?
I have a springer fork I would like to use, but the stear tube is not long enouph. I have looked at the "quill to threadless" adaptors, but they still use the threaded headtube nut. Is there a quill to threadless adaptor that uses spacers and a stud to tighten all that down?

Or if there is another option?

If the fork's tube is too long you can use spacers, I like to put mine under the bottom race...
If the frame's head tube is too long, and you can weld, then splice a piece of pipe in the fork tube to stretch it...

Carl.

If it is close to fitting and there is extra length on the frame head tube and you don't mind modifying the frame, you can remove the bearing cups and carefully cut the tube shorter with a hack saw...

How short is the tube? What frame and headset are you running? If it's very close, just barely too short, you might be able to run a headset with a slightly lower stack height...

Do you intend to save the springer for reuse/resale later? Is it a rare model, or just the standard chrome imported knee-action Schwinn type? What type of frame are you using?

There are lots of possible solutions to your problem, but without knowing the whole situation, and having some idea of your knowledge/skill level, I'm not sure which to recommend. If it's just the standard knee-action springer, then the simplest remedy is to buy a new steerer, and install it in place of the old one. They're chrome, made overseas, and less than $20 to replace. A local bike shop has them for $12, so I'm guessing you can probably source one close to you.

Back