BO15 SteamRoller - Finished 1st THANKS!! - CompareTwinWinsVerBotenSteamRoller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say leave the rims as is, and pick your colors to work with that. Or leave it as is, I like the frame's look now. The tattered upholstery kinda looks cool too. But I'm a punk. :crazy:
Agreed on the wheels, the raw look contributes to the 'one off' that they truly are. It might work as a complete 'proto-type' looking bike if it was all raw metal. Because you have so much engineering in this; Holey Higgins, 4-Sprung Nanner, Mervin' the Girvin fork, ..... Maybe just match the purse, gloves, and shoes with a color and go.

I'd say leave the rims as is, and pick your colors to work with that. Or leave it as is, I like the frame's look now. The tattered upholstery kinda looks cool too. But I'm a punk. :crazy:

Agreed on the wheels, the raw look contributes to the 'one off' that they truly are. It might work as a complete 'proto-type' looking bike if it was all raw metal. Because you have so much engineering in this; Holey Higgins, 4-Sprung Nanner, Mervin' the Girvin fork, ..... Maybe just match the purse, gloves, and shoes with a color and go.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The blue orange yellow and raw don't look horrible together, but to me the fauxtina orange was part of bighit's old BO build and that is what I see everytime I look at it. I want to make this more of my build, even if I am using his frame and fork. So, I doubt I will go that path.

Wheels raw or some accent color or fully painted have all crossed my mind at some point. They will probably be one of the last things I decide on. They look great in the raw clearcoat they currently have.

Going raw with the frame and forks is a definite possibility. I think that may have even come up whenever Mark and Tank were here after our Savannah bike ride.

We'll see how it shakes out after I get a bit more done.

I could see this in a dark grey with a coarse metallic.

Curious about a coarse metallic. Should I glue all of the drill press shaving to my frame? :D :D :D

I've been so tied up on the seat mounting, I decided to look back through my pics and found a few parts mockups that I didn't post.

Here is the first time I tested my banana hanger as a fairing/grill/headlight idea. This was from May 3rd. I may still try and use this.

20200503_120252.jpg

FAILED MOCKUP PART from May 3rd
Here is something that I won't be using. I got these cool handlebars on the raffle page.

Hard to even imagine these being handlbars.

20200503_161954.jpg

But they are VERY adjustable. I just didn't like them on this build and actually have already re-raffled them.

20200503_163229.jpg
20200503_163718.jpg
20200503_163732.jpg

FAILED MOCKUP PART from May 3rd
Here is something that I won't be using. I got these cool handlebars on the raffle page.

Hard to even imagine these being handlbars.

View attachment 124830

But they are VERY adjustable. I just didn't like them on this build and actually have already re-raffled them.

View attachment 124831View attachment 124832View attachment 124833

Definitely not right for this build, but uber cool. But I like the techno billet build stuff. Those would have been awesome on my Ducati :grin:

Potential Part MOCKUP from May 9th

Here is a part that I am pretty sure that I am going to use. I've had this DANA 3 Speed Transmission for years, This might be the right build for it. I think the visual mass at the BB will work well with this frame. I know @Blackout is using a DANA as well and I really look forward to the way he engineers around his. It won't be the first time we had the same killer part. We were both part of the Moonie Trifecta in BO11.

This will probably be the next thing I start playing with this week. I started looking at it on May 9th, but thought up the Holey Higgins Rack idea an had to follow through on that.

20200509_114931.jpg
20200509_115207.jpg
20200509_120644.jpg

I honestly still haven't given much thought at all to color or finish yet.

What colors and finish are you seeing when you look at it?

Wheels raw or some accent color or fully painted have all crossed my mind at some point. They will probably be one of the last things I decide on. They look great in the raw clearcoat they currently have.

I love the wheels in the raw

Call me crazy, but when I look at it I can envision some derivative of.......

timthumb.png
RMX-4443-3.jpg

I love a Girvin when it's color matched as well. Raw on the wheels, raw/silver on the Dana, raw bars, and white on white with grey or silver metalflake accents

I don't know, I've been drinking :crazy:

View attachment 124837View attachment 124838

I love a Girvin when it's color matched as well. Raw on the wheels, raw/silver on the Dana, raw bars, and white on white with grey or silver metalflake accents

I know that I said that I don't even know if it will be shiny or GREASY, but I didn't mean GREASED LIGHTNING!! :D (Maybe you were drinking White Lightning? :D )

Those Dana transmissions look so cool. I loved the one I had a few years ago.

But... you'll learn to hate it. :doh: There's a reason why they weren't around for long.:21:

Those Dana transmissions look so cool. I loved the one I had a few years ago.

But... you'll learn to hate it. :doh: There's a reason why they weren't around for long.:21:

I loved what you did with yours and the cool linkage and drivetrain. But yeah, seems like everyone loves experiencing them for their uniqueness, but have to accept the parasitic drag and other anomalies.

Ok, uh,

View attachment 124837View attachment 124838

Ok, you're crazy. :21:

Must be a bunch of activity that I need to catch up on. I was one post away from being a Page 2 Slacker. :D

Slow start this morning, but I broke out the Dana transmission to mount it up and decide if it was right for the build. I don't really know if this one has ever been used. It is in excellent shape. The parts look like they have been tied up with old twine for a long time. I also have the copies of the Dana docs from @Dbubbleguy .

20200613_095445.jpg

Cut all of the twine away and laid all the parts out. There was an extra old hub part in there with it.

20200613_095735.jpg

Mounted up the spindle with the bearings.

20200613_100321.jpg

Then slid the transmission on.

20200613_101044.jpg

Here is the view from above.

20200613_101049.jpg

And from the left side. That U-shaped arm at the front is called the Reaction Arm (or bracket, can't remember). It is supposed to brace on the downtube of a normal frame. I don't have a "normal" frame, so I will have to secure this in another manner.

20200613_101058.jpg

HEY B!! I SAW ONE OF THE AT NBW ONCE AND WAS LIKE WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?!? SO DUH...WHAT DOES IT DO. MUST BE ONE OF YA HAIR BRAINED SCHEMES AGAIN. [emoji38]

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

HEY B!! I SAW ONE OF THE AT NBW ONCE AND WAS LIKE WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?!? SO DUH...WHAT DOES IT DO. MUST BE ONE OF YA HAIR BRAINED SCHEMES AGAIN. [emoji38]

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

It is a 3 speed tranmission, but it puts the gears at the pedals inside that casing rather than in the rear hub. A shifter hooks up to this similar to a rear hub.

After mounting it and sitting back and looking at it, I just wasn't feeling this Dana for this frame. The mass just didn't look right to me. It is just so bulky. Plus I don't think I like the idea of the pedals being 2" farther out on the right than normal.

20200613_101510.jpg
20200613_101517.jpg
20200613_101527.jpg
20200613_101542.jpg
20200613_102828.jpg
20200613_102856.jpg
20200613_103836.jpg

Back