Start of first rat rodbuild/more pics 4/25

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is older Columbia frame, my favorite rat rod cars have surface rust, maybe old worn signage on them and new wheels,so I will try to replicate that look. I am open for suggestions, I will need to carry a cooler, but am not real hip on fenders, racks or baskets, so I need something unique. I have a seat that I am restoring. Looking to fabricate some bars, which I also want to give a worn finish to, but not rusty. I am thinking of adding some scallops or darts fist and then distressing the paint before I give it a little weathering by some faux rust.

CIMG0134.jpg

Re: Start of first rat rodbuild

you know i bet you wouldn't love those aged rat rods you mentioned, if they where covered in "faux rust" :)
some how i bet they wouldn't be nearly as cool.

if thats the look your after, why bother painting the frame at all? it looks like its aged nicely.
i'd stick with the plan, but put the painting on hold. see what the bike looks like complete, and then decide if it needs paint or not. if ya have to pull it apart and paint it again, you'll have a fun weekend project in your future.

aged bars,crank,sprockets,seat etc will also help achieve the look your after.
good luck.

I know the look you like, because I like them myself. My Firestone Pilot has that look, but it was the result of laying in the woods for 30+ years. I've heard of people stripping a frame, lightly fogging it with color, and spaying it with salt water and it surface rusts pretty quickly. OTOH, I'm kinda like icyuod2, I'm not sure I would want to actually do it to a good bike. If you decide to go that route, here is my Pilot for rusty rat inspiration! :wink:

Picture004.jpg

You're obviously men of good taste :p Yeah, faux patina might be an 'uncool' way of getting a cool finish, but in the end, if it looks ok, GO FOR IT! :mrgreen: I'd love to have the luxury of finding a 1952 something that has sat in a field for 30 odd years, but unfortunately it's just not gonna happen here in Oz :cry: All I can get my hands on are the odd new Schwinns, but I still love rust, so, go figure. Here's what I did with mine:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12705

Of course, the real thing is always cooler, but don't ever let that stop you. :D

thats a good start! i love the 20in bikes. as for the cooler, ive always thought the home built trailers that guys build out of half of what ever their rod was is an awsome toutch. seen a fue of them... mostly wagons but some coupes. just throwing out ideas. run with what ever comes to mind. it will look good in the end!

i just got the same frame from a fellow member a couple weeks ago. i just thru some parts at it for now. i'll build it rite when i finish my current project.
000_0005-3.jpg

cooler, huh? what are yer plans for this bike? just to cruise around at car shows?
if so you mite wanna look at some trikes. i dont know how pricey they are, buy you can get trike rears for 20" bikes, and build a slick cooler carrier.

Thanks for the input. The reason I want to try a faux rust finish is I have done faux finishing in houses and my reasoning if it looks bad I will strip it and paint it like new. I re-covered an old springer seat with a vinyl alligator skin and will post pics after I reassemble. I am not the biggest fan of tanks but I have decided I will make one for this bike to give it a kind of 'woodie' feel to it, maybe age and distress the wood and lettering. Again feedback is appreciated. By the way it is a 26" not a 20".

if ya don't like tanks, a simple piece of wood can be very effective.
IMG_4667.jpg

icyuod2 said:
you know i bet you wouldn't love those aged rat rods you mentioned, if they where covered in "faux rust" :)
some how i bet they wouldn't be nearly as cool.

if thats the look your after, why bother painting the frame at all? it looks like its aged nicely.
i'd stick with the plan, but put the painting on hold. see what the bike looks like complete, and then decide if it needs paint or not. if ya have to pull it apart and paint it again, you'll have a fun weekend project in your future.

aged bars,crank,sprockets,seat etc will also help achieve the look your after.
good luck.
I second the motion!

icyuod2 said:
if ya don't like tanks, a simple piece of wood can be very effective.
IMG_4667.jpg

That is exacly what I had in mind, i am thinking a piece of oak set outside for a week or so. I am liking the front end of your bike did you bend the fork and make the truss rods yourself?

Well I put finish on frame came out good, only thing different I would do is dust it first with gray primer to help give it a more weathered look
CIMG0158.jpg

Here is seat, i love these old springer seats.
CIMG0160.jpg

and with just a little detail that I just find very cool.
CIMG0161.jpg

Again I appreciate all comments

Back