Squeaky saddle springs... seeking some simple solutions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Don't have a solution... looking for one!

The springs on this Messenger saddle look fine but are very squeaky. I'm reluctant to put any kind of oil on them, so I'm wondering what else would work.

Anyone else encountered this problem?

100_5894_zps1b40e419.jpg

Those springs rotate in the brackets to add a little firmness. By moving the spring in the bracket, it may take the squeak out. You may need to loosen the small nut on the bottom of the springs first.

I have a Persons saddle that looks like that and this is the solution that worked for me.There are 2 metal seat pans and 2 bolts that go through the 2 springs.I separated the 2 pans and greased the heads of the carriage bolts.

Try coating the springs in bacon grease. It will stay on longer, but the dogs will chase you.

Just kidding of course. I have found that the white lithium grease lasts a little longer though, but still temporary.

CeeBee said:
Why are you reluctant to oil them?

It seems to me that oil would be messy. Even if you minimize it and wipe it down the potential is there for it to get greasy and get on your hands or clothes.

Sense this bike is for my wife, and she's not that interested in riding to begin with, I don't want to do anything that might discourage her from riding it.

The_Black_Monark said:
Maybe try expanding the springs and applying some spray wax, get it on areas where the spring contact the chassis too.

That sounds like it could work.

I was also considering silicon. :idea: :?:

CeeBee said:
I also notice from your picture that the seat appears to not be original. Why not simply swap out the seat? :?:

From what I can tell it looks to be original. The forward position does make it look odd. I did however rotate the bracket to the front of the bolt to move it back after this picture was taken.

I've still not done anything for the squeak yet.

Back